Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the whole turbo game and I am going to buy a used 7M-GTE on the weekend. I am only paying for the turbo and manifold, but the deal is I have to take the engine with a blown head gasket as well. Well ... twist my arm. I'll take it all.

I am primarily planning to put the turbo on my 1982 5M-GE untill it dies and try and rebuild the 7M-GTE in the meantime. What exactly should I check the turbo for ??? I don't want to spend all this time to set up a 5m-GTE just to need a rebuilt turbo after the first five miniut it runs.

Please be spacific!!! I can use all kinds of measuring devices but I 've never checked a turbo before? Even a good general discription of what to look for would be extremely useful.

Thanks everyone! :wedrunk:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check if the turbine still spins.
Check if there is any shaft play, which means grab one of the fans and push in and out. It shouldn't move at all, if it does, the seals are bad. Toss the turbo because it isn't worth the $500 a shop will charge to rebuild it. (unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shaft play = FUBAR Got it.

If it is fubar ... How much can I buy a kit to rebuild it myself??? What's involved ??? ... I'm not a brain surgeon but I'm well conected in the local automotive and machinist department. Unfortunatly ... around here some of the machines are smarter than the machinests so a fair amount of guidence is required if you know what I mean... :rotfl:

I'm going to get this sucker on Sunday morning so I hope you fellas like to check this forumn on Saturdays.

Rock on !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts