Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,139 Posts
It's not so much for the hatch removal as it is for the carpet replacement. I'm waiting for my stepson the weightlifter to come over here so we can get the hatch off. Since it'll take him a day or so to get over here, I thought I'd start work on other things that need doing.

Moving the battery is to get that 45 pound lead-acid lump out of the engine compartment where it's way out front and up high, to inside the wheelbase, and down low on the floor. I've done this before on several cars, and while the improvement in handling is minor, I could always notice it.

I'll make a final decision after I get the carpet out of the car so I can see how to neatly run the cable. Yes, I'm hesitant to 'hack a hole' in the firewall to pass the cable through. I might use a weather tight cable bushing to pass the cable through, but that's TBD for now.
Problem you're going to run into put it where the rear seat is the natural spot to put the mounting bolts for the battery interfere with the rear crossmember. The rear cross member runs right across where your butt would be in the seat. I think a better spot to do this is to put it where the spare tire goes or gang two of the smaller Honda sized batteries on their side next to the spare. I was also never a big fan of drilling the taillight and/or rear body panel to put the shut off switch either.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Problem you're going to run into put it where the rear seat is the natural spot to put the mounting bolts for the battery interfere with the rear crossmember. The rear cross member runs right across where your butt would be in the seat. I think a better spot to do this is to put it where the spare tire goes or gang two of the smaller Honda sized batteries on their side next to the spare. I was also never a big fan of drilling the taillight and/or rear body panel to put the shut off switch either.
Thanks for the tips. That's another reason I'm tearing the interior out.....to see how the car is put together, and check for hidden rust, split seam sealer, etc, etc.

I'm not planning on a sanctioning body shut off switch on the outside. I might get one for inside the battery box, but this is all up in the air.

And I'm still fighting with getting the bottom cushion out............

·
Registered
888 Posts
And I'm still fighting with getting the bottom cushion out............
Jim, I assume you finally got the seat bottom out. How did you do it? Was it just rusted/oxidized in there after 30 some years and need a big pull?
iirc, the first time I removed mine recently, it fought me a LOT, and then afterwards it was far easier to get out. I assume things just 'take a set' after a long time.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi, Dale

No, it's still in the car. I got busy with some other things I really wanted to get finished before Winter sets in here in the Rockies.

I can see the clips under the seat, firmly plugged into the little bracket on the floorpan, taunting me and laughing.

Seriously, since I can now see them, and can get some tools at them, I should be able to pop the cushion loose.

And like many others here, I've probably bent up various parts of it using the Gorilla Method trying to get it out of there.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts