Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after cracking my windshield a month or so ago I found one for pickup for a very cheap price out of a yard in wisconsin, a 15 hour drive away. How would I go about transporting this back in the trunk of my Subaru Outback without it cracking.
My current thought is laying it on a partially inflated air mattress and add padding at the edges.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
wrap in multiple packing blanket, and strap it down...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I once bought a windshield at a junkyard for a '72 Torino - which I drove there.
Put the windshield right on top of the existing windshield, and drove home. The old adhesive made sure it didn't move.

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
I have a crew cab pickup and I've carried them on the floor in the back seat because its wider than any classic car. When you see the glass trucks, they're always stood up in some sort of rack. Three things, if the glass truck hits a big enough bump, the glass would more easily break if its lying flat, also they'd have to take up more space with padding for it to ride on and last, whatever it rides on might become abrasive over time. So watching how the glass trucks do it, I've put a thick blanket on the floor and stood them up between the front and rear seats of my truck with old pillows wedged in to keep them from flopping around. But I think as long as you wrapped it in a soft blanket, it'd be fine to ride face down in the back of the Subaru. The key is you want to protect the edges because even a light tap on the edge can send a crack through it. Going that far, I think I'd tape the edges with something like electrical tape, wrap it in lots of layers of "clean" blanket (not the one you lie on under your car to change oil), and support it underneath with pillows or rags so that the weight is evenly distributed if you happen to hit a nasty pothole along the way. Or maybe only partially inflate that air mattress so that the windshield is sort of cradled in it.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
I don't see how this can be cheaper than new when you figure the time and gas to drive half way across the country. If it was me I'd build an a-frame like the glass installers have.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
unfortunately, in some places new isn't available...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see how this can be cheaper than new when you figure the time and gas to drive half way across the country. If it was me I'd build an a-frame like the glass installers have.
It happens that we were already going to be up there visiting family so its not much extra gas. And we now plan on building something at least similar to an a frame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are new windshields even available? I don’t need one, so I hadn’t really thought about it yet.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
omphhh, bummer :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts