Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this type of reverse scoop/vent? Like on this R34's hood. This type of hood vent is functional, and aids in cooling. More so when you have an FMIC.


Here it is on this celica...Sorry for the quality, and the color of the car, I only have MSpaint on this computer. Maybe in fiberglass, or carbon fiber? Notice that I widened the "Bulge" in the hood to make room for the vent.



Whaddya think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
I like them all :eek:nfire:
I did not know that air could also get scooped through the back.
seems like a good idea. :thumbup:
I also like the front scoop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW: Mods....feel free to edit out that last pic if you think it might offend anyone. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,546 Posts
these hoods are really popular in the corolla and silva scene. I don't know, I don't think the style quite fits the mk2. But nice PS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
Frank_MA61 said:
BTW: Mods....feel free to edit out that last pic if you think it might offend anyone. :)
Come on Frank play fair. Don't expect the Moderators to play forum COPs. That really isn't their function and you when you posted the picture it was inappropriate. Do the right thing and edit it out yourself!

Many members open the forum and read posts while at work. Most American businesses have policies about Porn. Someone could loose their job just for opening your post and the wrong person be standing behind them.

Leslie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
I like it ..em...both :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Dzone said:
I like them all :eek:nfire:
I did not know that air could also get scooped through the back.
seems like a good idea. :thumbup:
I also like the front scoop.
air moving over creates a "tumble" over the hole, thus creating vaccum, cowl sometimes has same effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MkIISuperSupra said:
Frank_MA61 said:
BTW: Mods....feel free to edit out that last pic if you think it might offend anyone. :)
Come on Frank play fair. Don't expect the Moderators to play forum COPs. That really isn't their function and you when you posted the picture it was inappropriate. Do the right thing and edit it out yourself!

Many members open the forum and read posts while at work. Most American businesses have policies about Porn. Someone could loose their job just for opening your post and the wrong person be standing behind them.

Leslie
You're absololutely right.
Its outta there. :)
 

·
Founding Member
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Many members open the forum and read posts while at work. Most American businesses have policies about Porn. Someone could loose their job just for opening your post and the wrong person be standing behind them.

Leslie[/quote]

Most of our members are aware of their employers policies regarding personal use of office computers and wisely comply or get what they deserve. My source of Supra money is at stake so I don't risk it.

Probably more important to consider for what's appropriate to OUR forum, is whether or not a post might offend a valued contributor to the extent that they cease to participate. We do have at least a few women on this forum who may or may not have a problem with the indulgences of our undeniably majority male membership and I suppose its possible someone might object to the picture on religious, cultural or moral grounds. I'd just hate to think that somewhere out there might be a retired Toyota engineer from the Ma6x project team or Dan Gurney's IMSA development team who's not contributing their priceless insider information to our forum because he or she was offended once. There's also the chance that such a technical guru might browse a post like this on a slow day and not take us seriously, regardless if they were offended or not. Just some things to consider.

Phil D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Thanks guys...I appreciate the words and I agree with you both completely. And Frank...I missed the picture entirely, but thanks for keeping it clean and all.

I've been away from the forum pretty much all day. My Grandfather passed away this afternoon, so I haven't done much internet work today.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,288 Posts
Stephen,

on behalf of the celicasupra community, and supra lovers everywhere: we offer our most sincere condolences to your family. It's hard to loose a loved one and we've all learned that time is one of the only things that eases the pain. Don't forget though, you've got around 250 friends on this forum who I'm sure have their thoughts and prayers focused on your family. So, on that note....God bless...take care.


 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,546 Posts
Dragonfyre said:
Dzone said:
I like them all :eek:nfire:
I did not know that air could also get scooped through the back.
seems like a good idea. :thumbup:
I also like the front scoop.
air moving over creates a "tumble" over the hole, thus creating vaccum, cowl sometimes has same effect.
Cowl scoops do do that, but this guy is a little different. From the tests I've done and the positition of that scoop I'd say air would rush in the front and be sucked out through the scoop in this case. Cowl vents do suck air in, but only if there isn't much positive pressure under the hood. These hoods might help with cooling the rad and such a little better then stock, may help handling too. But they wouldn't be much use for a ram air system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
SupraFiend said:
Cowl scoops do do that, but this guy is a little different. From the tests I've done and the positition of that scoop I'd say air would rush in the front and be sucked out through the scoop in this case. Cowl vents do suck air in, but only if there isn't much positive pressure under the hood. These hoods might help with cooling the rad and such a little better then stock, may help handling too. But they wouldn't be much use for a ram air system.
But if air was rushing in the grill/other enterences, then hutting the great areodynamic mass :roll: called an engine, then moving out the top, wouldn't that introduce alot of drag? Or would it allow more flow because the air has an exit from the bay?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,546 Posts
there is alot of drag there stock as the air just hits the motor and is pushed around it then into the firewall and down under the car. If it was able to exit overtop of the motor sooner I'd think it would be better as far as drag and handling goes (you want air to push the car down, not be sucked in which causes lift). Might be worse for turbo cooling though as most of the air would miss them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
karaki said:
Stephen,

on behalf of the celicasupra community, and supra lovers everywhere: we offer our most sincere condolences to your family. It's hard to loose a loved one and we've all learned that time is one of the only things that eases the pain. Don't forget though, you've got around 250 friends on this forum who I'm sure have their thoughts and prayers focused on your family. So, on that note....God bless...take care.
George,

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mean to hijack the thread with that news - yesterday was a long day for me. I don't know if Vegas is going to happen or not now...really depends on what happens with family etc.

On another note...

That hood scoop idea is cool as hell! I like the design and I think it would look very cool on a MkII. Frank, you did a nice job of morphing it on to the blue Supra too...looks pretty slick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
999 Posts
That Skyline is by Top Secret, yes?
Also, seeing that address in the top corner reminds me that everyone should check out www.exvitermini.com, that guy has some wicked cool cars too.

I see that sort of hood design on a lot of mid-engine cars, I assume on them the air comes straight from the dam in front, so all the air from the front of the car goes over the top. I guess it works the same in front engine cars, but it can't pass as much air and the engine gets in the way.
(IANA engineer, if anyone else has a better explanation feel free to call me out on this made up crap I just said :wink: )
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top