Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here, but always been in love with the Celica Supra! Especially the MKI and MKII. I've recently found a pretty good condition, running, MKII for $700 dollars. Which scares me a little bit, afraid I'm gonna get into it and there will be a major problem.

So before I go leaping into the restoration of this car, I was curious as to the prices of parts for these cars. What kind of money are we looking at? About average? Way above? Would there be a better car to start a restoration on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would get the car checked out by a mechanic if your not sure what to look for. Test drive it to this person and that will also give you an idea of what your getting into as far as what's working ans what's not working. If you need an idea what to look for yourself search this forum but most retailers do a courtesy inspection free. Parts are always relatively inexpensive unless you need something new from the dealer. Welcome and good luck

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, if it tells you anything, I am a freshman in college, with limited money and I have 3 Supras and 1 Celica GTS. I have a job but also have bills such as insurance and cell phone.

If it's something you like, then go for it. This forum will gladly help and support you. If not, then let us know where the car is so one of us can go get it and save it.

-Danny

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
Mechanicals, cheap.

...trim, interior, body, not cheap.

--billyM
Heck, for the most part not even available! If you want to restore a Supra, I wouldn't start with any car under about $4,500, paying particular attention to the condition of plastic, vinyl and rubber parts because you just can't get'em anymore. I.e. what trim and interior is on it now needs to be at least reconditionable. And of course while you can find skilled body men to repair most rust, its a major expense. Even a little rust will cost more to fix than the car is worth. Remember, this is not 65 Mustang for which every last part is reproduced in Taiwan and available through a catalog. A $700 Supra is a parts car, a race shell, or at best has a few miles left on it as a daily beater.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you are not in a rush you can take a cheap car and eventually find the used parts to make it look good. Compared to other hobby cars the Supra is cheap. This forum will help you more than anything. Ebay will have some of the stuff you need but it's usually more $$$$. Still some here in TN salvage yards too if you're lucky enough to find them.

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Phil two posts up typed exactly what I should have typed had I not been running out the door. It fully depends on what you mean by "restore" also, but it is often cheaper to start with a car in the $3,000 and up range to start with a car that won't nickle and dime you to death.

If by "restoration" you mean show-car, no.

If by "restoration" you mean something you can drive that looks decent? Sure, but a $700 car can be a piece of shit, or it can be a 101k mile cremepuff with an unplugged injector resistor, or anywhere in between.

--billyM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I most definitely don't want a show car. I just want something I can fix up a little bit, and know it is at least mechanically sound and reliable. I will most likely only be keeping it a couple years to mess with, and bum around in. I don't know haha, probably gonna fall in love with the car and put way more money into it then I intend!

The car seems pretty sound, I'm going to go look it over really good in a few days, check underneath and every little nook and cranny for rust and such little problems.

From what I've seen now I know the two side mirrors will need replaced, it will need a new right side front fender, there's a hole on the bottom of the rear left fender that has eaten through the metal, but as for those things the car seems pretty sound. I really don't know about the engine and transmission though.

Might end up being a better shell for someone, then a quick fixer upper for me. If I decide the car is to much for me I will definitely put up the details and some pics for the car!

·
Registered
326 Posts
i think you have touched upon an important truth in this thread. firstly to answer your question, general matinence parts are not overly expensive for this car, and it is generally reliable. some parts may be found at wreckers but they are becoming rare and many small bits are not available from toyota.

What is more important is the comments from many supra owners that say they would generally want to spend more on a good starting point than look for a cheap car that has numerous issues. I must agree wholeheartedly. You are so far ahead of the game to have a good condition rust free car even with with mechanical issues or high KM, than any >1000 $ dollar supra. I have had many supras and I will be spending at least 4 to 5 k$ for my next one and possible much more.
A beater is a beater and for 800 it might be a good buy and good fun. Just dont try to restore a beater, buy a better starting point instead.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Take a good look at it before buying. Rust is the big expense. But , you seem to merely want a daily driver, so it's all relative. For $700, you can only hope for a decent engine and OK body. Or a good body and a tired engine.
In the $2000 and up range, you basically get more bang for the buck.
MKII parts and pretty cheap used, and it's sometimes more cost-effective to buy a parts car. You can sell the parts you don't need and pay for the parts car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts