Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad in the classifieds for an '89 turbo MK III with a blown head gasket. The body is in mint shape, and the car has been garage kept. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to take a look.

I know a head gasket costs an arm and a leg to replace ($1100.49 for my '94 Talon). So the question comes up- A mint Supra body and no (working) engine.

1. Don't buy this car.
2. Replace the head gasket?
3. Replace with another 3.0 from a MK III (non-turbo or turbo?)
4. V-8 conversion (and if so, which V-8 would be best... I was thinking the Tundra's 4.7 if it would fit). How hard would this be, and how much would it cost?

I doubt I'll buy it, but I'm toying with the idea and would like some input.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
how the FUCK did you pay $1100 bucks for a headgasket on a DSM? i know the engines are a bitch to work with, but how much of that was labour?

headgaskets are NOT NOT NOT that expensive. how cheap is the car? if the body is mint, and the engine is repairable (a blown headgasket can be anything from just a blown headgasket to a completely destroyed engine as a result of the BHG) then it probably isn't that bad.

mkIII's, from what I've read, have always had an issue with teh head gasket, so it's not out of line.

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple, I was in New Jersey at the time it decided to blow. Obviously a shop 100 miles from home may take some 'liberties' with prices. They also took the liberty of replacing other parts that might have damaged. Not like I could tell, I was back in Pennsylvania while they fixed it (thanks to my Mom for taking off work early to come get me). Also, I have NO mechanical abilities whatsoever, so replacing the head gasket myself is out of the question.

What can I say- I needed my piece of junk running. On the plus side it only made me want another Supra that much more.

I have few details about the car yet, just that its an '89 MK III turbo, garage kept, no rust, never damaged, one owner, with excellent paint and interior. New parts include tires, brakes, radiator, water pump, and more. It also has complete maitenance records and manual. No mention of color, transmission, or even mileage. I only saw it late tonight and haven't called about it yet.

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SliP said:
also a tundra v8 would cost a lot more than a mkIII... probably more than a RUNNING mkIII too.
That's what I figured... Like I said, I'm only toying with the idea. I want another Supra (pref. MK II, but I wouldn't mind a MK III) but have a very limited budget, hence the look at non-running cars. I figured any engine swap would be too much, but I included it as an option anyway. So strike that one from the list. I should probably just strike the idea and go look for a running MK II. Not many left around here though.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Go with option 2, UNLESS both the head/block are so warped/out of spec, that you will have to go w/ option 3. Then take your time rebuilding the motor "properly" (ie: MHG, O-Ring the block/head, ARP studs, etc.).

V8 conversions (esp GM conversions) tend to be a sore point among Supra owners. However, I don't know of anyone who has done a Tundra motor conversion yet (have not paid attention to the SOGI list for about 3 years, so I may have missed something). W/ a Tundra motor, it would still be in the Toyota family.

However, if you REALLY want to spend some $$$$$$$ over a period of time, you can always do a 1JZ conversion. Or a 2JZ.... :lol:

Final choice is up to you.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
1000 bucks for a head gasket repair is a normal shop rate for such a job. Think about it, the entire head, exhaust manifold, turbo and plumbing if there is one, belts, crank pulley, timming belt, everything above the head, etc has to come off. In many cases the block surface needs to be refinished, and they will almost always want to replace the water pump, idler arm and timing belt if they have more then 50k kms on them. Thats alot of labour. Take any supra to a toyota dealership and get a quote for a head gasket change, I guarentee you it will be in the 1g ballpark (cdn at least), and thats just the estimate, not the final bill.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you can get the car for a very good price, definitely under 1K, then go ahead and get the HG replaced, as recommended by Chris. Then after you get is running good, pull the motor and slap it into a mk2, they you will have some FUN!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I would say replace the headgasket but be carefull and definitly check the head and block for specs, on of the major causes of those engines having bad headgaskets and destroyed engines is lack of coolant flushes, the acid just eats through whatever it wants, at work there is currently a mint 91 with 65000 miles on it that now has to get a new block and head and camshafts, and a whole bunch of old hoses and such. The guys is deciding to go through with it and paying almost 5 grand parts alone are over 3500.....i forget how much we're charging him labor but at 72 bucks an hr this guy really must like his supra.

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem is I just found out how much he wants for the car.... too much.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you do the v8 conversion i suggest the 1UZ-FE instead of the 2UZ-FE in the Tundra, its in the sc400, gs400, and ls400, its got an aluminum block compared to the iron one on the 2uz, see the discussion in the engine section for more info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts