Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Heroic Autobot
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in the classifieds for an '89 turbo MK III with a blown head gasket. The body is in mint shape, and the car has been garage kept. I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to take a look.

I know a head gasket costs an arm and a leg to replace ($1100.49 for my '94 Talon). So the question comes up- A mint Supra body and no (working) engine.

1. Don't buy this car.
2. Replace the head gasket?
3. Replace with another 3.0 from a MK III (non-turbo or turbo?)
4. V-8 conversion (and if so, which V-8 would be best... I was thinking the Tundra's 4.7 if it would fit). How hard would this be, and how much would it cost?

I doubt I'll buy it, but I'm toying with the idea and would like some input.

· Heroic Autobot
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple, I was in New Jersey at the time it decided to blow. Obviously a shop 100 miles from home may take some 'liberties' with prices. They also took the liberty of replacing other parts that might have damaged. Not like I could tell, I was back in Pennsylvania while they fixed it (thanks to my Mom for taking off work early to come get me). Also, I have NO mechanical abilities whatsoever, so replacing the head gasket myself is out of the question.

What can I say- I needed my piece of junk running. On the plus side it only made me want another Supra that much more.

I have few details about the car yet, just that its an '89 MK III turbo, garage kept, no rust, never damaged, one owner, with excellent paint and interior. New parts include tires, brakes, radiator, water pump, and more. It also has complete maitenance records and manual. No mention of color, transmission, or even mileage. I only saw it late tonight and haven't called about it yet.

· Heroic Autobot
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SliP said:
also a tundra v8 would cost a lot more than a mkIII... probably more than a RUNNING mkIII too.
That's what I figured... Like I said, I'm only toying with the idea. I want another Supra (pref. MK II, but I wouldn't mind a MK III) but have a very limited budget, hence the look at non-running cars. I figured any engine swap would be too much, but I included it as an option anyway. So strike that one from the list. I should probably just strike the idea and go look for a running MK II. Not many left around here though.

· Heroic Autobot
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem is I just found out how much he wants for the car.... too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.