Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 86 MKII and was wondering if anyone knows how many were built before the MK3 took over ?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Rjames see thread on this subject

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=21075&highlight=86

What is your vin # and production date??

86s were made from 85/08 - 11/85

From research I did in the other thread...MK2s made 11/85 - but no end date listed or vin #s

[I ran vin #s on Carfax.com I found a 86 with a vin of

JT2MA67L8G0177013 delivered to the dealer on 1/2/86

so 177013 -175788 = 1205 86MK2s at least ?????? }

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thread you linked me to was interesting. Still doesn't come up with an exact number. Oh well. Mines #174700

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have 2 of those 86's now. :D

The two tone is September 85 build date, #173,528.

·
Registered
436 Posts
From the info AJ has pulled together, I get the count at 5093. He found the first production number in 8/85 to be 171920 and the last vin he could find is 177013. Unless I misread the information. Were these sold in other countries in 86?

My Oct. number is 175206.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had an 1986 Model with a date of NOV 172XXX so it must have been one of the last one's

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Production numbers are right at the end of this link,http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2006/06/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html I'm not sure if that's U.S or worldwide.:thumbsup:
but according to that article, he says the 1986 model was included with the 1985 production numbers, so that doesnt really help us figure out how many updated 1985 models came with a 1986 title. Even though they are the same car, i think we all wanna know exactly how many where badged 1986, and there where slight modifications (addition of 3rd brakelight etc) for historical reasons alone, and those differences mentioned, the 1986 Celica Supra is a car of its own year with its own place.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
The info on the Hemmings is crap sadly, if you add up all the numbers, it falls short. Highest serial number in this thread: 177013-114459= a difference of 62554.....

That is assuming there was no skipped numbers, of course.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
I provided those numbers to Craig from Hemmings.

I used the figures found in the oiginal Brian Long book on Celicas.

As someone else here stated, you wont do better than than... Toyota dsnt disclose that info publickly.

You guys can debate this til youre as old and wrinkly as Junkie :D

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The info on the Hemmings is crap sadly, if you add up all the numbers, it falls short. Highest serial number in this thread: 177013-114459= a difference of 62554.....That is assuming there was no skipped numbers, of course.
(didn't search - figured we're at a good place to discuss this)

Agree - Even if you use all of '86 prod -- there were only 148,282 built
How can we have numbers in the 177,000? - What am I missing?
So, they skipped numbers is a possibility?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
(didn't search - figured we're at a good place to discuss this)

Agree - Even if you use all of '86 prod -- there were only 148,282 built
How can we have numbers in the 177,000? - What am I missing?
So, they skipped numbers is a possibility?
I don't think any manufacturer placed sequential VIN numbers on their cars. I'm sure there are a handful of exceptions though!

And does anybody have a link to a site that would ahve a VIN decoder for the MK2's? After JT2MA67 there are a couple letters & numbers that changed from car to car. Was this related to P-type or L-type and whether it had a cloth or leather interior? Obviously the 8th spot from the end of the VIN is the model year the car was designated (G= '86; F= '85; E= '84; etc, etc)

·
Registered
155 Posts
this might help decode the other letter/number's , http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/newcodes.htm it also mention's about build dates/chassis number's/VIN numbers ,
as far as i know the only addition to the '86's was the 3rd tail light. Assumption is the mother of all screwup's Donn29 ......lol , Dzone stated that his Nov 85 is numbered 172xxx while Pogipogi is an Oct numbered 174295 ..........? Has anyone found out the numbers ?

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
86s had AM Stereo added as well...smaller ignition key and of course the 3rd brake light...

·
Founding Member
6,436 Posts
I don't think any manufacturer placed sequential VIN numbers on their cars. I'm sure there are a handful of exceptions though!
Corvettes had sequential numbers, BUT there are a number of exceptions that could happen. Potentially Supras could have the same sort of exceptions. Most prevalent, a defect would be found and the car pulled from the assembly line and set aside for some times days or on occasion (as happened with several labor strikes), months before the defect would be corrected and the car inserted back into the assembly line for completion. As with old Corvettes tho, the trim tag with the date did not show the vin. I don't know which was assigned or attached first, but I guess it doesn't matter as either way it could get out of sequence. With Supras, the trim tag also shows the vin but the real official vin tag is on the cowl under the windshield so I guess a trim tag attached later might have simply been stamped with whatever vin was already on the cowl. In the Corvette world, these were exceptions rather than the rule and so for the most part, they were reasonably sequential. You'd think that if Supras followed the same pattern then finding the highest vin number would lead us to a pretty good estimate regardless of what the trim tag says.

But one thing just crossed my mind, even tho the prefix was different, would the vin sequence have included the celica line or mabe another line built at the same plant?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts