Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was reading the BHG thread and i noticed a lot of people got their cars for a great deal, usally because the previous owner is convinced its going to cost a fortune to effect some repair to the car... perpetuating the "imports are expensive to maintain" stereotype.

how much did you pay for your car?
what was wrong with it when you bought it?
do you still own it?

personally, my car was $400, its got a knock that i cant pin down, and some mild rust, but other than that, its got a great set of 245/50s, a mint interior, and a very clean engine bay.

my first parts car cost 200, and my second parts car (coming in august) is gonna cost 200 as well.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
$1000 canadian for the '82 L-type. it doesn't start with the keys, but you can push start it. has a pacesetter header, no cats, a few other goodies.

$250 Canadian for the '84 p-type. it has a seized engine, but also has a 4.30 LSD and nice seats :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
I paid $40 for my 82.
It had wrong with it:
Blown Clutch
Bad wires/plugs/cap/rotor
Hatch was rusted into non-existance
Bumper and bottom of car were black
Rust
Lack of radio and speakers
Headlights dont go up/down
Overheated
Lack of rear passenger side rotor/caliper
Tires didnt hold air
Only 3 rims
Exhaust had many holes
Gas door flops open and closed when I corner

On the plus side:
Frame is still very solid
All the glass (was) in great shape
Engine had 130 something thousand
Interior is in pretty good shape for 21 years old
5-speed RWD NON-4cyl (which is exactly what I wanted in my next car)
ITS A SUPRA, DUH!

I think thats all :) I replaced the clutch, wires/cap/rotor/plugs, and hatch, painted the car all white (spray bomb job that I need to do over again), started to control the rust, installed my stereo+speakers, fixed the over heating problem (PITA!), got a new rim and 225/60's , got 2.5" cat-back exhaust. Headlights still dont go up/down, still some rust, and my caliper is on teh way. All in all, id say not too bad of a deal though. Im not afraid of some work, and if I can get a relatively solid car for $40, I cont complain. It wasnt in NEARLY as bad of shape as my cutlass, which Ill save for another post.

-Ken

·
Registered
790 Posts
Bought it for $2200 about 2 years ago. Interrior was ok, engine in good shape (110K miles), no major mechanical problems, and new paint job (new cheap Maaco paint job, as time has shown; they didn't even prime it, just painted over the blue with black :mad: ). Of course, what I put into fixing the little things and adding performance parts is a bit steeper :oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up my '85 P for $100 about 5 days ago from the ORIGINAL OWNER! I haven't had the time to do a full diagnostic on it yet, but from what I can tell I've got a blown or at least leaky HG, and apparently a slight oil leak from under the cam carrier on the exhaust side. Cruise control doesn't work (or so I'm told), but it was low on brake fluid, so I'm betting that's why. I haven't figured out how to operate the headlight washers yet, so I'm not sure if they work or not. Aside from that, a minor amount of surface rust and a fastener missing on the drivers side front turn signal. Ummm... yep, that's it. Starts, runs, and drives great - just blows some white smoke. Not for long, thanks to you all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got my 85 P 18 months ago for $1000 US. Had 122,000 miles excellent body, just a little rust under rear pass side quarter (first thing I fixed). Motor is very strong now leaked oil and burnt some when I got it, and developed BHG soon after. All is tight now. Ported the head, added exhaust that goes from cat outlet up to 2 1/2" in stages, a K&N open element, KYBs all around, new tires, Hella E4 headlights, power antenna. The rest is stock, would like a header next.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Picked up my 82 P summer of 95 (my graduation present to myself) for 2700. 167k miles. Ran great, good interior, minor rust.

Christian

·
Registered
178 Posts
I paid 1600$ for mine in 96'.
Engine had 170k mi on it or so but ran good aside from leaking some oil from around the cams.
Transmission and stuff were good.
Paint was severly oxidized on the hood and top w/rust in various places.
Interior was great with just ripped front leather seats.

I'm pretty sure I paid way too much for what I got but I didn't know a thing about cars back then, just that I wanted a car quick and I liked the supra's, lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago for $1200. I still own it and plan a lot for this (on a budget ofcourse 8) )

Things wrong:
-front bumper bent in a lot
-a/c needs a recharge
-speakers suck and no stereo
-paint/trim completely suck
-little bit of rust on the car
-has 3 supra wheels and 1 corolla wheels needs new front tires
-cracked dash

Cool things about the car:
-It was my friends before me and we did a 6MGE swap, new clutch/flywheel, new radiator/hoses, new seals everywhere, new water pump/timing belt...
-In the last weeks I installed my stereo from my other car along with some infinty 6x9's, picked up a perfect shape bumper, new sunroof and all the trim I needed for a salvage yard for $30 :shock: , got 2 new 235/60/14 tires for $75
-Car runs AWESOME and has perfect compression and after sanding, new body parts and trim and paint she'll be ready for the turbo :D

Austin

·
Super Moderator
8,394 Posts
I paid $2500 for mine a few years ago. Exactly 88k miles when I picked it up. Well worth the money this one is nice and tight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine was at a car yard for $2500NZ ($1400US) but we traded in a real clapped out AE82 FX-GT which they give us $2000 for so it really only costed me $500Bucks and my car is mint if i do say so myself :D almost perfect body (tiny bit of surface rust on the hatch) spotless interior low kms for its age only 1 other owner fully rebuilt engine and as for mods lowered, cams, headers, full exhaust, eribuni front vents, not a single problem and still no problems to this day all i've done is oil changes

I think it was a great buy 8)

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I bought the redpra a couple years ago for $2700. Non-smoker and had been garaged most of its life. Original paint was still glossy and the interior was perfect. Had a new battery, new a/c compressor, condensor and dryer, new brake pads. Only problems were pwr antenna had been replaced with a fixed mast, hole in muffler (I would have changed exhaust anyway), and needed valve stem seals which was typical for 126000miles. I replaced the water pump and alternator about 10,000 miles after I bought it but otherwise haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

The bluepra I bought last summer for $400. It had one broken taillight, paint faded and lots of scratches, most leather intact but very dry, driver seat and console cover ripped to shreds, Apparently everything but A/C works. Engine runs very smooth but had a spun rod bearing that knocks - fixing that now. Oh and its got 165,000 miles.

Phil D.

·
Registered
302 Posts
$5000 cdn, but the car had only 58000 kms (36000 miles) always garaged and in factory condition inside and out (only wear item was the arm rest) - No rust evident anywhere. I've now run it up to 89000kms and invested a little over $6000 cdn in various mods.

Art

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
1000 Canadian! Should have paid less but I talked em down from 1200. Needed 4 shocks, Headlights dont go up/down. Hood doesnt line up right(needs adjusting, hatch needs work or replace. Seats are worn (had "cow" seat covers :shock: ) Surface rust on the body and 195/70 tires. I guess it was the bible in the back seat but I didnt push it any lower.
I actually had the cash in my hands when I had severe doubts and told them I wanted to wait a day. Next day they wouldnt answer my phone calls :roll: . So I kept looking and on Monday I took the wife for a drive by to see it. The guy was in his yard so I cornered him and asked if it was still available. He said that someone was coming for it if they could scrape up the cash. But if not he would sell it to me. 10;00 pm at night I finally get ahold of him and he says come and get it. I have never had a seller jerk me around like that. If it was any car but a MK2 I would have told him where to put the car (were talking about two days of run around and not returning calls). But I held my tongue and now I drive a MK2. I am just glad I knew a mechanic who would do the inspection with non working headlights (I convinced him the fogs were adequate). So thats my story.

-Wil

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
83 Blue auto mk2 - $800 (just needed a tune up) but it had 190K miles, I just rebuilt the engine and tranny any way, Wreaked it a month after I finished it :cry: Sitting in rustting away

84 White 5spd mk2- $1200 (110K miles) It had a 6MGE with Toysport intake, DT Headers, Center Force Dual Friction Clutch, However, it was leaking and burned a quart of oil every 100 miles, the valve stem seals were gone. (wont pass smog :cry: ) I still own it

85 Black 5spd mk2 - $2000 It WAS perfect. New paint job, Perfect Int. I drove 300 miles to get it and on the way back it blew a valve cover gasket, and a camshaft housing gasket. It leake all the oil and wore the rings out. Now after running a dog over and cracking my front bumper and getting the driver side door scratched, the Rack and pinion broke. Its sitting waiting for funds :cry: I still own it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Free.
Was my mother-in-laws; they bought it from their best friend in '89 (the original owner). they tried to sell it for $3500, but there were no takers. at the time, our accord passed away, so they turned the supra over to us. 198,000 miles. have replaced rear brakes, fixed a real good oil leak, and put new tires on it.
at some point it needs a new clutch.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
For my Black 86 Leather worn out a bit I paid $2000Cnd droped the price The guy wanted 3000 cause the metal was still very good,
paid $1000 less cause of BHG symptom??
Still running slowly restoring.
I guess if original paint helps determen how much rust there is
If its been in accident
paper work
klm ect...

·
Registered
579 Posts
i guess not many of you are first hand owners

1 - 20 of 271 Posts