Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to cut up almost new springs but I'm starting to look for the lock out hubs on this 85. It's 4X4 status!!! It's got Dobinson standard height coils under it with just a few hundred miles on them. I can't stand this height so I plan on pulling them out and cutting some off of each. Would 1 round cut off be too much in your educated opinion. Don't want to go too much but don't want to be installing and pulling them several times either.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The first coil on the standard height rear dobinson springs is a very tight coil. When I cut mine, I cut the first coil out, and it only dropped the rear of my car by maybe an inch. This is probably exactly what you are going for.

It wasn't quite enough for me, so I cut another half coil out. The second coil on these springs is wound a lot looser than the first, so cutting half of the second out dropped the rear of my car more than cutting the first out altogether did.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you only cut one whole coil out. I believe I cut mine out of the "bottom" (mine were symmetrical, so the bottom is just based on perspective). This is because the lower control arm contours a bit to the tail of the spring, so the newly cut spring wasn't poking as bad as it would have on the completely flat upper mounting area.

Hope this helps you a bit. Don't hesitate to ask me more questions about my experience here. If need be I can try to grab some pictures tomorrow.

-Forrest

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts

Thats my car with dobinson standard heights uncut in the front and 1 coil in the rear. It was a decent stance without mad camber in the rear. Your camber my vary. Cut at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Always better to cut less than more. I've always measured how much I want and then see how much each ring is gives, it gives me a general idea of how much to cut.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
David your car is beautiful
it brings a smile to my face every time i see it

anyway 1 coil to 1 1/2
anymore and you will hate the way it!!
i have ST's on the rear with 1 1/2 coils cut and coil overs on the front

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why CS is a great place to hang around. When you don't want to guess you ask. I have ruined springs before in my old muscle cars by having to experiment. Got a set of Hotckis and Ebiachs laying on a shelf at work because I cut a little too much.
I will take your advice on one round cut in the rear. David's car has the stance in the rear I want. Mine currently looks like a 70's Camaro. All it needs to complete that look is a set of traction bars. LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
How soon are you looking to do this?

I ask because I'm waiting for my new suspension to come in, and once it does, you can have my cut springs, just pay shipping. I cut two coils off each. Let me know.

·
Registered
837 Posts
2nd dibs on your springs romy if poods doesnt want them. i just put 18's on my car and i feel like i am driving a tank. So i either have to find a set or start chopping.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well... I just ordered the springs, and then I gotta install them... which I can only do on weekends... so I'm guessing it will be at least 2 weeks... if whoever can wait that long, then just PM me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
i have front progressive eibach's for sale also haha...

·
Registered
307 Posts
When i got my supra, it was dropped on its ass, I think theres about 1/4 to 1/3 left of the original spring, sits under 100mm from the ground. (got factory springs to pass my warrant of fitness tho)

Hey are cutties illegal in the US and canada?

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
I feel it my duty to comment on how much 3+ degrees of rear camber sucks. Combine it with the OEM rear toe and rear tires wear quick. I would not drop more than an inch without a camber kit.(especially if its your daily driver) Been there done that. Buying tires every 8 months sucks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I feel it my duty to comment on how much 3+ degrees of rear camber sucks. Combine it with the OEM rear toe and rear tires wear quick. I would not drop more than an inch without a camber kit.(especially if its your daily driver) Been there done that. Buying tires every 8 months sucks.
tires are not a problem. I have a couple extra lying around and any size i need are usually only a phone call away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts