Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im based in the UK and I have a BMW as my everyday car.
Ive always wanted to have a Celica Supra 2.8i and I finally have the space and money, for my dream car.
It will be used as a second car just for pleasure but I would be very interested in your opinions.

How relaible are the Celica Supra's ? I dont have a clue about engines and mechanics. It would be pointless if I purchased the car and it just sat there. I also dont have much time to spend fixing the car, I would rather spend my spare time driving around enjoying the car.

What are the common problems on these cars ? What should I look for ?

And if anybody else from the UK is on this board, I would appreciate your comments on spares availability.

Thanks in advance for all your help

·
Registered
914 Posts
Welcome 330uk

You won't regret buying a mk2, they are more reliable than most of their contempories, and better than some modern cars. Many reach 200K miles without major problems (in the US they do even higher miles). The big problem in Britian is rust, and body panels are damn near impossible to find, so finding one with good bodywork is essential. Other parts are available from Toyota and from motor factors, but you won't need many.

Graham

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
To be totally honest, you will have problems. The car is ~20 yrs old. Do not expect new car reliability. THings break. Little things, and big things. But if you are not mechanically inclined, you will be spending money having someone do the work for you. THis is the case with any old car. I believe its a small price to pay for the pleasure of driving (and fixing) a mk2. But ultimately its up to you.

CHristian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
suprasrock:
I assume you have classic car insurance for your Supra.
Can you recommend a decent company to insure the Supra through ?

Im looking through Auto Trader, Loot and other websites. There arent many Celica supras available but Im keeping my eye out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
RUST! rust everywhere you can think of. If a supra has new paint, find out who painted it and how much prep was done, otherwise the paint is just covering RUST! As far as engines, trannys and the like, all mine have taken a pretty good beating and kept going. My 83 has 350,000k or thereabouts, and still goes like stink. They are old cars though - continous preventative maintenence is a must.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive found a car :D .
Its an 1985 in silver / black. Car is in good condition and doesnt have much rust, just on sunroof and petrol filler cover.

Its 100% mechanical but the diff makes a whirring type noise so it probably needs another diff. How much labour is involved in fitting a diff ? Does it take long and is it hard ? Im asking becuase I want a estimate cost of fitting a diff (I have also found a decent diff )

As long as everything is OK, I should pick up the car tomorrow. Got my digi cam ready so I will post pics as soon as I have it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It will be more reliable than your Bimmer for certain.

Enjoy!

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
I found my old blue 85 to be SUPER reliable. I bought it wih ~60k miles...sold it with ~150k...just 3 yrs later. I beat that car thell and back.

Very few items failed, and those that did were typical given the age of the vehicle. Hell, my a/c was still blowing strong when I sold it :)

-alt -I blew it with a stupid sound system
-coolant hose -just split. easy fix
-center bearing -was a tad noisy, so I replaced it (not necessary)
-heater core -typical
-igniter -typical

That was the best car I have ever owned.....since it took my beatings with no issues. :twisted:

·
3,283 Posts
The diffs in the mkII are notorious for the higher pitched whirring sound at higher speeds, this is normal for the age of the car. if you are hearing grinding or low speed noise, you may need to change the diff.

I put the 3.73 (4.30 came on the car) diff in my car 3 weeks ago. it took me about 3 - 3.5 hours, some of those bolts are Very!! tight. This was the first time I've bothered with a diff in the MKII, some guys have gotten times down to ~1 hour for removing and re-installing, but they've had more practice than me. :mrgreen:

Get that rust stopped ASAP and you should have a solid and enjoyable car for many years.

Mike

330uk said:
Ive found a car :D .
Its an 1985 in silver / black. Car is in good condition and doesnt have much rust, just on sunroof and petrol filler cover.

Its 100% mechanical but the diff makes a whirring type noise so it probably needs another diff. How much labour is involved in fitting a diff ? Does it take long and is it hard ? Im asking becuase I want a estimate cost of fitting a diff (I have also found a decent diff )

As long as everything is OK, I should pick up the car tomorrow. Got my digi cam ready so I will post pics as soon as I have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
suprasrock: Does your car run on unleaded or do you need to find a garage with leaded fuel ?

Where do you buy parts etc in the UK?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts