Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 left the telltale snail trail up the driveway into the garage.... A pinhole leak in the upper radiator hose. I replaced the upper and lower hose, refilled and burped the system. Figured I'd post the video here in case it helps anyone out.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
The "burping" is difficult to do completely and easily.Some cars are a true nightmare. Pontiac Fiero,for one.
Good tip on the hand over the radiator fill area! Thanks,Kurt.(y)

The upper hose 3X more often fails than the lower hose.
Our cars tend to blow head gaskets.:mad:I'm a fanatic on Evanscool coolant-I'll NEVER have a pressure-related failure.
When changing out heater/radiator hoses,SLICE the hose off-no yanking.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 84 left the telltale snail trail up the driveway into the garage.... A pinhole leak in the upper radiator hose. I replaced the upper and lower hose, refilled and burped the system. Figured I'd post the video here in case it helps anyone out.

Great video! Looking forward to more of them. When I first got my Supra a few months ago, I tried looking for videos exactly like this, there weren't any.

Maybe your next video can be on other maintenance type jobs? Brake bleed/pads, transmission/diff fluid etc.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
There are a ton of videos on You Tube,but VERY few about Supra's!
Study quite a few B-4 you attempt a brake fluid flush. You CAN screw it up!
Many of the procedures carry over to our cars.
Brake pads: See many videos B-4 you attempt that one,too.
If it's on a Japanese car,that is good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There are a ton of videos on You Tube,but VERY few about Supra's!
Study quite a few B-4 you attempt a brake fluid flush. You CAN screw it up!
Many of the procedures carry over to our cars.
Brake pads: See many videos B-4 you attempt that one,too.
If it's on a Japanese car,that is good.
That what I realized. Videos specific to the vehicle your working on can make a big difference compared to following a written tutorial or service manual.

I need to do a brake flush and pad/rotor change, just not comfortable doing it just yet without more research.

Exactly why I appreciate TOYMAN321's video....and hoping he can make one for a brake job next lol

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
We can tell how to to a brake fluid flush or a bleed,but a video is worth 1,000,000 words.
There are tricks to both procedures. One major thing to remember for a bleed or a flush for brake fluid: IF the master cylinder is a USED one,do NOT let the brake pedal go to the floor! If that happens,you may ruin the seals inside the MC and it will bypass. The master cylinder seals NEVER "sees" the far front(DEEP) into the MC bore and it will pick up crap that is in there,and ruin the seal that touches the crap,first.

For that reason, do not let someone pump the pedal that doesn't know this fact. You can use a 2 X 4 or suitable spacer to prevent that pedal from going all the way to the floor. I just use the toe of my boot. NEW MC? No big deal.

That is my tip of the week. Ask me how I know this. I have blown a few MC's with a rookies help.You can also use an adjustable hood rod,if doing it SOLO. That's what I use because it will hold the pedal just right and fall to the floor,when the pedal goes down just a little AND not continue to push. Ram one end into a firm seat cushion-works fine!
I have 2 of these:
They work well for hoods,too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts