Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
excellent excellent write up.... i want to try this on my 96 corolla... should be almost the same procedure....that bad boy have 188,000 miles on it and still going great.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thanks!
I would be honored if sticky happens. :naughty:
Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already been stickied since you wrote it at the beginning of this year!!!

Where's Malloy?!?! :badger:

YooHOOOOOOOO!!! ;)

I'm sure just about every 5M intake plenum needs to be cleaned out in this fashion to help the engine get thru emissions quicker & easier! I know I'll be doing this to our new blue '86 once we begin working on the engine! That's why it hasn't been registered in 2+ years is because it couldn't pass emissions! :eek:

Thanks again for doing a write-up on this. :) I would never have thought those passageways would be that stuffed with carbon and cause the EGR system not to work properly!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i need help im claning my egr and i dont know what to use to tack out the femile part on the back of the efi were the egr are and u help me

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i need help im claning my egr and i dont know what to use to tack out the femile part on the back of the efi were the egr are and u help me
Tack out the female part?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
BUMP FOR STICKY (AGAIN)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going through this process right now as I finally begin work to bring our blue '86 back to life. This is an invaluable piece of information and should be stickied for ALL to see!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
should be put in the FAQs

·
Registered
367 Posts
what would it involve to just delete the egr? would the valve need to be removed or just the tube from the back of the head? im in the middle of swapping an engine in mine and im trying to decide what to do with egr. i dont have to worry about emissions where im at.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
what would it involve to just delete the egr? would the valve need to be removed or just the tube from the back of the head? im in the middle of swapping an engine in mine and im trying to decide what to do with egr. i dont have to worry about emissions where im at.
If you're gonna delete the EGR system, then you're better off removing it from the engine bay completely. You'd need to remove the EGR valve from the plenum and also the tube that runs to the EGR cooler on the back of the head. You'd also need to get some block-off plates to cover the holes on both the side if the plenum and the EGR cooler on the head. Oh, and don't forget to block off the vacuum ports on the throttle body!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
It's my opinion that the egr system is vital to a happy smog free earth. It eliminates nox. Unless you're a race car and can super tune it's my opinion the car will run better with it. That's just me and my programmed cali smog uti mind-control.
Yes, it recirculates unburnable air, ie: dead space, however it lowers combustion temps and eliminates nox. As a kid I couldn't see the mountains next to me cuz of socal smog, now a days it's super clear.
PLUS........... The system is designed to not recirculate at times you need the power, ie: half to full throttle.

·
Registered
367 Posts
interesting. where would i get some block off plates? ive decided to just do away with it. im just about the complete opposite of DRIFTING and dont care about a little extra smog lol. i was thinking for the vacuum lines just put a little peice of hose on then a golf tee in the end?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
interesting. where would i get some block off plates? ive decided to just do away with it. im just about the complete opposite of DRIFTING and dont care about a little extra smog lol. i was thinking for the vacuum lines just put a little peice of hose on then a golf tee in the end?
They do make block-offs for vacuum lines. Cheap enough & won't look tacky when plugging a vacuum port! ;)

21 - 40 of 75 Posts