Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
They do make block-offs for vacuum lines. Cheap enough & won't look tacky when plugging a vacuum port! ;)
oh thats even better! where do i find these block offs and the plates for the egr holes? ive looked on the forum and google and cant find much for the 5m.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Great write-up, I may have to tackle this once the weather gets nice out. I must ask Drifting...I've been thinking about using seafoam in the main vacuum line, and now that I've read this write-up I'm wondering if it would remove any of this buildup prior to doing what you've done, to aid in the cleaning process, because if it wouldn't, I'd see seafoam as a waste of money. Would you recommend using this stuff, before to loosen buildup, or even after cleaning as you have, to remove buildup that had remained?

oh thats even better! where do i find these block offs and the plates for the egr holes? ive looked on the forum and google and cant find much for the 5m.
I may have some vacuum caps here somewhere, I'll look and get back with you, also..Summit Racing sells them if I can't come up with any.
George (Raptor Racing) has the block off plates http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?50035-New-Raptor-Racing-Product-5M-EGR-Block-Off-Plates

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Most auto parts stores should have these in stock. I simply walked in & grabbed them off the shelf! :) I wanna say they're in the area where they have all the quick-fix-it nuts, bolts, screws & washers. And when you put them on, be sure to add a zip-tie to it so it won't have the ability to pop off easy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
you just saved me so much time man thank you for the thread i was just about to ask you guys how do i go about cleaning out the system currently im stuck on getting that large nut off the s pipe

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
you just saved me so much time man thank you for the thread i was just about to ask you guys how do i go about cleaning out the system currently im stuck on getting that large nut off the s pipe
I used a 24mm open-end wrench on mine. Worked great! ;)

Soak it in penetrating oil if yours has tons of rust on it. They shouldn't be so tight that you need a cheater bar to break it loose. Make sure you're turning it the right way to loosen it too!! :eek:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I cleaned my egr system out the other day. this thread made it a cake walk!! the only issue I was with that s-pipe... I didnt try putting the 2 10 mm bolts back in until AFTER I had everything else back together. I ended up having to remove the transducer, loosening the 24mm nut and start the 10 mm bolts.

just something to look out for so you don't have to pull it apart twice like I did!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
On the transducer, there is a P for one tube and a Q on the other. Which one faces the right/passanger side? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, what does this part do exactly?

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
482 Posts
just did this on my 85, the EGR is slightly different from the 84, but most parts are the same. for the life of me i couldnt reach the 2nd bolt to the s-pipe, so i just removed the transducer and replaced the cotton filter with those round cotton pads.

for 203k miles, i had a lot less carbon in my intake manifold than yours, although it still was clogged. thanks for this DIY!

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
why not just get rid of the whole egr system. wouldnt it be better for the motor in the long run.
A lot of States, cities, and towns require the system be in place, to register car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
this might be... well it is a newb question... but should i for sure do this on my 82 with 220000 miles? or would it be easier to just take off the TB and get it professionally cleaned? and how do you bypass the egr system??? ive seen a few posts but i always run into sarcasm somewhere and i dont want to mess up my car because people are being smart lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never cleaned the EGR on this car but did on my Previa. Cleaning did not seem to affect how the engine runs. Would leaving the EGR clogged have the effect of no EGR at all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So glad you posted this clean-up thread! I busted my 84' intake plenum by installing the wrong bolt from the throttle body to intake manifold plenum. I bought another from the junk yard, but the newish 85 EGR orientation was facing the wrong direction. Lol womp. Thanks for clearing up my debacle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Were lucky in Canada that we don' thave to test emissions for the most part. I just rebuilt my '84, and totally plugged and disabled the EGR system. There is no sense in putting exhaust air back into the intake. It makes everything dirty, and oily when your rings are worn. Much better power and throttle response too. Very good article though.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks!!

"Supposedly" NOx is what makes smog and why egr was invented to prevent/reduce NOx and I used to be all hardcore get your car smogged legally (I live in the most harcore smog state IN THE WORLD), but recently I've noticed that jet airplanes pollute like MOFOs! Even to the point that the exhaust from jets appear to look like clouds, slowly fanning out and slowly falling to the earth leaving a nasty haze over everything...

Now I'm all like o_O car egr vs jet pollution..... JETS ARE WAAAAYYYYY WORSE IN EVERYWAY!!!! So I wonder if my previous opinion of egr/NOx was all in vain.

Thanks for the comment! =)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also feel lucky for living where I do. All that work just to clean out and emissions system that really does nothing. I won't even mention how much better the car sounds without that damn thing opening up. Not to mention it's so much cleaner looking minus all the plumbing and accessories required.
Canada Wooo Hoooo!!

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Oh, rats....the photos are gone.

I just failed smog on NOX, and was going to use this to help me clean things out.

I should probably get a new catalytic converter as the one on the car is 30 years/165,000 miles old, and do the "Seafoam Thing" before I swap out the converter.....

- Jim

41 - 60 of 75 Posts