Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Oh, rats....the photos are gone.

I just failed smog on NOX, and was going to use this to help me clean things out.

I should probably get a new catalytic converter as the one on the car is 30 years/165,000 miles old, and do the "Seafoam Thing" before I swap out the converter.....

- Jim
I can view all the pictures on mobile. Maybe you're having Internet issues?!

sent from my Samsung GS5 on Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Son of a gun....I just checked the first page, and now they're back!

Must have been a Verizon issue....again.

Hopefully, cleaning all the crud out, along with a Seafoam treatment and a new cat converter, will get me through the smog test.

It passed on HC and HO this time, but failed by about 100 ppm on NOx.

- Jim

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
How's the O2 sensor? I bought a new ND one from Rockauto for cheap!

I've been trying to locate a new stock exhaust manifold, but the few I've found have cracks in them. Probably the reason I failed emissions for so long with my blue '86. The headers I have have a crack somewhere hidden in the collector pipe welds. Once I put a known good OEM exhaust system on it, she passed without any further issues!

sent from my Samsung GS5 on Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The O2 sensor is a couple of years old, with very little (a few hundred) mileage on it, so it should be fine.

This is the first time it's failed NOX, and also the first time I didn't drive the daylights out of it to get the converter good and hot. HC and CO were about half way between the "average" and the "max" on the printout.

GAWD....I *HATE* getting it smogged!

- Jim

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
EGR and smog testing. GET IT HOT!

That fabric-covered hose was clogged on my 5MGE.
So was the 90* elbow.
Got' er done but was not easy to get the *&^%$# off.
Get the engine temp to almost overheated! After the EGR nightmare.
I have removed some coolant to get it REALLY hot B-4.
On my '71 Ranchero,I disabled the electric fan and used the heater to keep it just below boiling temp.
It was steaming-hot when I went through................. Passed.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
This thread and the pictures have been priceless to me!

I got the "freeze plug" out, and the spout to the throttle body was plugged completely solid!

Since it's an '85, I had the hex plug at the back end of the passage. Took an 8mm "Allen wrench" to get it out, and the passage through the upper half of the manifold was surprisingly clean.

Got the EGR valve and modulator off (27mm on the "Big Nut" to the pipe, 12mm nuts hold the valve on), and I'll be cleaning those out tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.

Thanks, Drifting, for posting this!

- Jim :dj_smiley:dj_smiley

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
THIS excellent post should be in the FAQ. TOTALLY.:salute:
Yes,some of our cars must pass emission tests,depending on where you live.
'Sides,I like the extra gas mileage and reduction of "PING" in the summertime.
My engine likes 14* timing.

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
EGR cleaning for me today.
The 18mm freeze plug was stuck REALLY well.
I ended up threading a bolt into it and screwing a bolt into it.
A flexible gun cleaning rod is desirable,Jim!
Yes,it was plugged,solid.
Took a week to get a 4 pack of those freeze plugs.
In the next meet and greet,ask me for one.
A lot of stuff was in there,like you said,Jim.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsu8mbavsg.jpg.html][/URL]
THIS did not work:
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpskaigjnta.jpg.html][/URL]
I went beyond cleaning and added a port to add my favorite cleaner to the intake for the future trouble.
4/40 bolt with an O ring.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsmylvcb7p.jpg.html][/URL]
After I was OK with my repair, I did a Techron treatment,at full strength. The crap that came out the tail pipe was remarkable.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsgosc6fg2.jpg.html][/URL]
Later,I plumbed it into the PCV port.
An IV drip to clean out the patient... A LOT!
Road test was fun,but felt sorry for the people at the bus stop,as I stunk 'em out,crop dustin'.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I used what's called a "Bore Snake", and taped it to a piece of flexible wire I threaded through the passage.

The bore snake has brass bristles embedded into it, and is made of nylon webbing. Saturate it with you favorite cleaning solution, pull it back and forth a few times, and ALL the crud in the air box passage will be removed!

- Jim

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
THAT'S what I needed! I got by with a speedometer cable frayed at the end.
I actually had a skinny bottle brush for test tubes that I could have used.
I have 5 extra 18mm plugs,now.
This thread was VERY helpful!:salute:

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Well,after all of that work to unplug the passage,the engine will not "BOG" when I manually open the EGR valve,Jim.

See the PIX above.

I added a 4/40 bolt with an O ring in the middle of the freeze plug,so I could force feed some cleaner in there ,when I wanted to.
I made this out of a plastic syringe and a valve used to inflate basket balls and I injected some Techron in there until the engine died and let it sit overnight.
Didn't work.
Maybe black powder gun cleaning solution would by pass the need to pull that damn thing apart again.
Same method.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsn7reqgb1.jpg.html][/URL]
About 1,000 cc's may do it.
Maybe the passage is blocked just passed the EGR valve.
The gun shop in Wenatchee,WA didn't have black power(Sorry) gun cleaning solvent.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
"Hoppe's #9" or Birchwood-Casey "Gun Scrubber" should work equally well to dissolve carbon deposits.

My EGR valve was clean, the passage wasn't too bad, but the little brass "spout" tube that directed the exhaust gas flow to the throttle body was packed solid.

The crud came out easily, but it surprised me that that was the only place I could find that had an obstruction.

·
Registered
252 Posts
"Even to the point that the exhaust from jets appear to look like clouds, slowly fanning out and slowly falling to the earth leaving a nasty haze over everything..."

What you see behind a jet aircraft at high altitude is called a condensation trail, or contrail for short. When a jet engine sucks air in at the front that air is compressed, along with whatever moisture is contained in it. When it comes out the back that moisture immediately freezes in the minus 50 degrees C air. It is not pollution, it is merely harmless ice crystals.

Capt Bob, B.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Virginia, as well as 18,000 hours flying those big jets.

Now I gotta go out to the garage and clean out my EGR system!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts