Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, everyone asks about my wheels. What brand and where I got them?

The wheels have been out of production for many years. Maybe 15 years and I bought them new. Truth be known they were 16X8 2 piece wheels for most of their life until one got damaged from a construction hole that was not marked.

Now what to do? I found a source that had unfinished hoops in 17 inch and 18 inch sizes. Only problem was I could make some really wide wheels, but with an offset no less than +36mm to +48mm. Thats were the adapters would come in. At first welding was discussed, but the adapters would work just as well.

If the adapters are built properly with the right material there should not be a problem with strength. I drove my car hard with this set up and no problems.

I picked up a set of 17 inch hoops and had them cut to my 16 inch centers. Any machine shop can do this, water cutting is the best option. I then with the help of my father used the centers as templates to drill the holes. We even had to do the valve stem holes. Using the highst strength nuts and bolts I could find I put them together. I then used special high temp silicone to seal the joint between the two hoops from air leaks. Now I have 3 peice 17s.

The silicone had only been on the wheels for 2 hours and was still wet when I put on the new rubber on. I then ran the car up to 200 km/h and everything was smooth. No leaks and no shimying. As a matter of fact the wheels have never leaked in the year they have been on. I did notice on one wheel that some silicone had sqeezed out, just a little. I guess I should have let it dry before putting on the rubber.

I just got a set of centers with the right bolt pattern and 18 inch hoops. When my summer semester exams are over I will work on those.

The great thing about this project is I can try different widths and see what really fits.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Well....

I myself am still curious/wanting to know what brand the wheels are???? Esp on the SDR 85. Any idea???? On your Black 84, it appears that those were Epsilons, correct???

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no they are not Epsilon. What ever happened to Epsilon anyway? They made really nice wheels. I actually have an old brouchure from them someplace.

They were made by some company called Dynalite or something like that. I couldn't believe how light they were without rubber. I find the new hoops I'm using a bit heavier, not just because they are larger in size. Must be made of a heavier gauge material. I should mic. the spares I have to see if they are a heavier gauge.

The center caps were not the best looking so I never used them. I found them just too big. I still have them stored some place.

I'll post some pics of the 18s I'm building when I find time. The centers are made by Works, who knows who made the hoops? Unfortunately I could only get one size in depth for the outside hoops, but diffrent sizes for the inside. This means I will be able to stagger them in size, but they won't look deeper on the back of the car as did the 17s.

karaki and others in TO have seen my rims, ask them what they think if you want an honest opion on how they turned out. I love his Braids, but one thing I like about mine is that the centers on mine are flat and not convex. I may get a set of those Braids in the near future, they are so sweet. His car looks great.

Only thing is it will cost me more for just the Braids than what it cost me to build the wheels, buy new adapters and new rubber.

Maybe if I could order unfinished inside and outside hoops in the right widths from some company, I could then build wheels for my centers and not have to use adapters. I may look into it and cheaper than Braids. Still not quit as good though maybe.

I would need 2 18X3.5 and 2 18X4.5 outside hoops. 2 18X6 and 2 18X6.5 inside hoops. No adapters required then and nice flat centers.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
any company that produces 3 piece rims should be able to sell you them, most of them sell replacement lips. I have an old set of compomotives I'm trying to get a new set if lips for right now, compomotive's US dealer figured it was no problem to get them. Then they stopped returning my emails months ago, not sure why.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size are they, the old wheels I mean? You should do what I did and get some unfinished hoops in a larger diameter. Just a little work and you could make some huge wheels for not too much money.

Just remember to use good fastners and some Loctite (blue stuff, red you need heat to remove). By the the way if memory serves memory correctly the silicone I used was made by Loctite also. It was black.

I will look into getting hoops in the right width.

Oh I should also mention the wheels pictured on my late black '84 were the wheels originally, before converting to 17 inch. So those are the before and the wheels on the '85 are after the convertion.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's too bad.

I would start looking for some 2 or 3 peice rims in 15 or 16 inch sizes with the correct bolt pattern. You may find some used ones for a good price. I just picked up 5 similar 15s for a good price.

I have 17 and 18 inch hoops ready to be cut and drilled. I will build them to 18s.

Go to wreckers or wheel shops and see what they have. I'm sure living in So Cal there must be tons of places to check.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
A word of caution for the neophytes that think they can just order 3-piece rimshells from anyone making multi-piece wheels: Make sure the rimshells are designed for the centers that have either acquired or are going to acquire. Most companies these days are going with 17" rimshells designed for 17" centers, 18 for 18 and so forth. You will not be able to put a 15" center into a rimshell designed for 17" center. Not gonna happen. Make sure you specify that you have a 15" (or whatever the size may be) center.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would be suprised. Last time I looked Simmons just throw 18 inch hoops on 17 inch centers.

You can tell by the design of the hoop. The 18 inch hoops I have were designed to have the same centers as the 17 inch hoops I have.

Once the two hoops are sandwiched together the strength there is incredible. Good fasteners are the key, get some that are made of the strongest material you can find and torqued to the right specs. Loctite is a good idea as well.

I just bent the inside of one of my rear wheels. More potholes. It was just at the horizontal position of the hoop, the vertical part where the inside and outside hoops meet was perfect. Just replaced the inside hoop.

Anything is possible with access to a good machine shop like the one we have at work.

Too bad my father doesn't work at a foundry anymore. After looking at some of my rims (one peice and a 3 peice center) he said he could have cast some for me with any offset and no bolt pattern. Just mahine what ever bolt pattern in afterwards. Before moving to Canada from England he worked were they cast engine blocks and heads. One of thier customers was Lotus. He made me copies of lots things in aluminium when I was a child. He would take something like a statue and make an exact replica in solid aluminum. The detail was incredible. I left most of them in England though.

Supra GTR with proper fabrication techniques anything can be done. My father and uncle would make the guys on those building chopper and hot rod shows on TV look like ametures. They both did years of apprentiships in England starting at the ages of 16.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Who would have ever thought that being born into a blue collar family would be such a good thing.

Funny thing, my work out partner at the gym is a Tool & Die Maker. Another great asset. We are both employed at the same place, so I can get special work done there also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts