Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TSRM shows a SST to reach down into the head to install them but I don't have this tool. The Chiltons manual only shows installing seals in the 5M style head which is much easier since you don't have cam towers in the way. I had considered using a socket and extention but I don't want to damage the ridiculously expensive Toyota seals I have. So anyone who has rebuilt a 7M please LMK how you installed your seals.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If the head is off, you need one of those deep valve compressors.

Then use some grease to hold the valve retainers in place when reassembling.

On car, yikes. It's been done. Snap-On man has a tool for this.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the engine is completely apart and I have a suitable valve spring compressor but how do you install the seals themselves? I can't even fit my fingers down the hole to push the seal down onto the valve guide.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you can get a tool from a local tool truck dealer like snap on, mac, or matco or go to your local toyota dealer and buy the tool itself and I am telling you right now it is not that cheap for the tool

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
if you look on the sogi site(or maybe it was sonic) it shows how to make a valve spring copmpressor from pvc pipe for about $2. thats what i did. once the spring and all is out use needle nose pliers to pull the seals out and also to set them down on the valve guides. ones its resting on the valve guide use your finger to press it on. it will kinda snap in place. you will feel it with your finger when it does. the pain is when you put all the springs back. have fun, its a real pita. btdt. lol.
william

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found that SOGI link a couple nights ago, here it is in case anyone else needs it:

http://www.supras.com/sogidb/index.php?jumpto=techcenter&tech_jumpto=display_techtip&id=4

In the article he says to use 1/4" PVC pipe to push the valve seals down. I found 1/4" to be too small (maybe it's a typo) instead I used 1/2" which fit perfectly. I just rounded and smoothed the edges with sandpaper so as not to damage the new seals. And yes reinstalling the springs and keepers in a serious PITA! Half way through I was getting a lot faster but it still took forever. Oh well it's done now, just have to get the rest of the engine back together again...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I did my stem seals when I had the head off.

Normal OHV spring compressors don't work. The PVC pipe thing on SOGI didn't work at all for me, not enough tension. I used a spring compressor that looks like a giant C-clamp. I used a piece of copper pipe, and cut out a rectangle in the middle of it, too compress the springs, and pull/replace keepers. I've also seen DSM guys use a wide deep socket with a square cut into the side at the end of the socket.

I forget the deep socket you use too push in new seal, its like a 8mm or something, you feel a first click, then push harder and you'll feel the second click, then its in! If its a older 7MGTE probably worth pulling the head too do a valve grind anyways (MHG if you haven't already)

BTW when putting keeprs back in, use a dab of white grease too keep them stuck too the stem, remember that you only need too compress the spring a bit too fit keepers in. My first time doing this took me a very long time, you live you learn I guess!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Oh man, I wished I read this! "...you feel a first click, then push harder and you'll feel the second click, then its in!"

I had to go into my head to replace loosed valve seal over the weekend. Just 2 days ago installed 2 new seals. Didn't know about that "2nd click". Dang! Engine is already all together and now this!

I guess I'll have to go back into the valves later when it smokes on startup again later.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You all need to learn the ghetto maneuvers. Valve seals go in no problem with the tip of your finger. Need to remove those pesky valve springs? Use a deep socket and a hammer. whamo! Now you just have to go look where the keeprs went flying off to. :D
but you'll need a special tool to get them back in.

Christian

·
Registered
268 Posts
You all need to learn the ghetto maneuvers. Valve seals go in no problem with the tip of your finger. Need to remove those pesky valve springs? Use a deep socket and a hammer. whamo! Now you just have to go look where the keeprs went flying off to
Yeah you can use a socket too smash the spring and bounce the keepers off, but with the risk of scratching the valve stem, I dunno, sure is fast though.

How ghetto is useing your fingertips though instead of a much easier deep socket? Who doesn't have a deep socket who pulled their own head off?

It took me 8 hours too reassemble my valvetrain, a real PITA, could do it faster the next time, but I hope I never have too.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah you can use a socket too smash the spring and bounce the keepers off, but with the risk of scratching the valve stem, I dunno, sure is fast though.

How ghetto is useing your fingertips though instead of a much easier deep socket? Who doesn't have a deep socket who pulled their own head off?

It took me 8 hours too reassemble my valvetrain, a real PITA, could do it faster the next time, but I hope I never have too
I don't know, I've ALWAYS used my fingers to put on valve stem seals. The thing is I hate touching seals with anything metal. Just get paranoid about messing them up.

I've never scratched a stem using the socket (and I've done it plenty). And if by chance you would, it would only be the very top, which never sees the guide anyways.

Christian

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know, I've ALWAYS used my fingers to put on valve stem seals
Cool, maybe I'll try it next time, might be easier, mmm easier.

I've never scratched a stem using the socket (and I've done it plenty
It sure is fast, thats for damn sure, I've never scratched either, but it makes me paranoid non the less! PITA any nasty way you look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts