Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a supercharger form a friend as an early birthday gift. I was wondering how to install it. Does it work the same as turbo? Where does it go? Won't I screw up the air and gas mixture? Any sudgestions, pictures, diagrams?

If I can't install it, I'll sell it to somebody willing to buy a new supercharger for cheap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Be specific, so we can better help you out.

What brand/model supercharger is this? What car did it come off of (if it came off a car).

You seem like you are very unexperienced with forced induction and I would highly suggest you steer clear of it until you do some more research. Any installs of a supercharger on our cars is all custom work. Requiring custom machined/welded brackets, custom piping etc...

Yes it will mess with your A/F ratios, which is why you need to get a new FP, injectors, and some sort of fuel management (FMU, Apexi S-AFC, standalone engine management).

btw, here is a picture of my new supercharger which is getting installed onto my car. ALL custom work.

http://www.squirrelsw.com/supra/eatonm90.jpg
http://www.squirrelsw.com/supra/eatonm90girl.jpg

And no, it doesn't work like a Turbocharger. A turbo is spun when exhaust gasses pass over a turbine which spins a shaft connected to a compressor wheel/fan. A supercharger is turned by the belts and pulley's on your car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Supercharger ... that's way too much work to bother with when all the turbo stuff is so easy to come accross. You need to forget about installing that supercharger and sell it to me :evil2: ... I don't know any better ...I'll waste decades getting it to work. :lol:

Seriously, there are a few supras with superchagers and I am not one of them. :( I'm guessing that the same RRFPR that everyone uses on the MKII (you ARE putting this on an MKII arn't you???) turbo set up would work because unless you upgrade the internals the engine will still be limmited to about 6-10 psi of boost so you would still have enough fuel. I would guess the total power output would be about the same ... but without the turbo lag.

For a 5m-ge, much cheaper and easier to go turbo 'cause there is little to no custom brackets and manifolds to build. So what supercharger do you have??? We need more info!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure you guy's. Remember I got this as an early birthday gift. I'll call up my friend in LA and ask him more about it. But I know he sayd that it's compatable for the MKII's.

My car's specs:
An '82 MkII
Automatic transmission (Yes I know, I'd laugh at me too)
Everything is totally stock
Bought the car with an engine swap (now has an 84 5mge)
No turbo whatsoever

I became inspired by you guy's racing stories in the MKII and talked to my friend down in LA about wishing my car could have some kind of extra source of power. So he shipped me a supercharger. He doesn't own an MkII, but he wanted to help out my dream by giving me a supercharger to play with.

I'll call him up later tonight and ask about the specs. I'll post later tonight or tomorrow after school.
:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm sorry to say this cause you got it as a gift, but I dont think its going to help you in the power dept.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
"ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER KIT"

Oh dear. I concur with the above; don't waste your time with this thing. If it was a REAL supercharger then yes, it could be pretty cool. An electric supercharger on the other hand is little more than a gimmick. Sorry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a feeling...

This is how you install it. Pick up the supercharger in your hand. Now make sure you are installing this outside, because there is going to be a bit of a mess. Throw it on the ground as hard as you can. Now proceed to stomp on the piece of junk. Now you will soon find yourself getting tired, so you can take a break and pay the neighborhood kids to smash it with a mallot or you can run over it with your car.

Dispose of pieces properly in a furnace or similar high heat cooking room.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
sorry bud, you've been had, and so has your friend. This product is a is a con, it will only hurt your performance if you actually install it. Electric superchargers are a viable theory, but untill vehicle's electric systems significantly jump in voltage there is no electric motor on this planet that could spin fast enough and hard enough to actually build any boost.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ha ha ha!!! Funny guy!

No wonder it was a gift. Big let down. And for a hot second I thought my friend was cool. Thanks for clearing me up you guys.

Later...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
NoahFex said:
I had a feeling...

This is how you install it. Pick up the supercharger in your hand. Now make sure you are installing this outside, because there is going to be a bit of a mess. Throw it on the ground as hard as you can. Now proceed to stomp on the piece of junk. Now you will soon find yourself getting tired, so you can take a break and pay the neighborhood kids to smash it with a mallot or you can run over it with your car.

Dispose of pieces properly in a furnace or similar high heat cooking room.
:rotfl: :woowoo:

·
Registered
152 Posts
SupraFiend said:
sorry bud, you've been had, and so has your friend. This product is a is a con, it will only hurt your performance if you actually install it. Electric superchargers are a viable theory, but untill vehicle's electric systems significantly jump in voltage there is no electric motor on this planet that could spin fast enough and hard enough to actually build any boost.
Incorrect. 20psi out of an electric supercharger. The guy wants too much $ for it though. For that price, you can SC with a drive system.
http://www.boosthead.com

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to hear this SC was a fake.. Woulda been a nice addition to your MKII.. Sorry things didn't turn out well.
-Melly

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
NoahFex said:
SupraFiend said:
Incorrect. 20psi out of an electric supercharger. The guy wants too much $ for it though. For that price, you can SC with a drive system.
http://www.boosthead.com
yeah but whats the electrical load? My point is its a viable theory, but the technology to do it affordably isn't there right now. That might change in the near future, would be cool if it did.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
a 2 stroke Toro leaf blower, some duct tape and zip ties and your set!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts