Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting bit of information I picked up a the parts counter at the local Toyota dealer today (while dropping $300 (even after discount) on mouldings for my Redpra):

Apparently, if Toyota gets three orders or more per year for a particular part, it will keep the part in production or available. So, if we keep asking for some of those hard-to-find parts then we'll be able to keep them available (assuming this is really true, and I'd guess this guy would know, as he's been with the local dealer for years).

Funny thing was, he also said that they'd reactivate a part's production status if they got at least three orders for it - but didn't have an answer as to how we could order a part that wasn't currently available .... :-( A definite Catch-22.

FYI -- Bob

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
$300+ and after discounts :shock: Dam I was thinking about getting those molding around the car. I might stop by a Dealer and get some too, some time this year.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I work at a dealer and i looked up prices on all moldings and rocker panels and my price which is like 20%over cost is 500 dollars... i was like wow...i think i'll pass...lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
screw the toyota 500 dollar crap... get the stick on molding crap. much much cheaper. the parts car I used to revive my 85 had stick on crap on one side and OEM on the other, and the stick on stuff looked better and had less rust under it. I say less rust because it dosent look like it was repainted/cleaned before the stick on stuff was put on.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
all of the replacemant mouldings you buy form toyota is stick on. They ditched the metal filled clip moulding a long time ago. Finding aftermarket trim that matchs the shape and size of the oem stuff is the tricky part.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I get most of my parts from a dealer, so I guess I am doing my part to keep the availbility up. :lol: 8)

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, all:

my connection at the local Toyota parts counter called and left
a message for me on my home line today - he did some digging, and had to
go fairly high up the line to get the "official" policy, which is:

As before - as long as Toyota keeps getting three orders per year
for a part, from anywhere in the USA and apparently Canada, at least -
not sure about Oz/NZ and Europe - they'll keep the part in production,
apparently until hell freezes over.

HOWEVER: If it's been more than seven years since the car was last
manufactured, and they go a year without three hits - it's gone.

Hope this helps...Bob

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hey Bob!
Toby's a great parts guy ain't he? I always call him for oem parts.
Btw, haven't seen your cars around lately, you still driving them Supras???
Some day we'll hook up, maybe when Jake has another get together!!!
Catch ya later!
Chris

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, Chris:

Yeah, Toby's pretty cool. Nice guy, seems really willing to help out on getting us parts and willing to work for us MkII people.

Of course I'm driving 'em (though the '84 has been a garage queen lately, I've been out in the '85 quite a bit (except for the last couple of days, when it's been so damned hot - I don't like letting the car bake outside all day)). I'm hoping to get the Redpra in for the respray soon (which is why I've been buying those damn expensive mouldings).

Yeah, let's hook up soon...let me know when something's coming up. You going to Zankone's little mini-meet in July?

-- Bob --

1 - 9 of 9 Posts