Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Boost-a-holic
2,397 Posts
As long as we're talking about starters - I will probably have to remove the one in my '84 tomorrow to replace a little hose which connects to the aluminum coolant tube between the starter and the intake plenum. Does anyone have an EASY way to get the top bolt out (the bottom one is easy to get to, looks like the one on the top side is a real PITA)? Thanks - just trying to avoid spending the whole day on this little job...I have to replace the wiper motor, too!

-- Bob --

· Boost-a-holic
2,397 Posts
Good Gawd, I hate that hose. I've replaced it many many times. My first question is: Why pull the starter when you can change this hose from the top side? It's tricky, but it's very doable. If you're standing on the drivers side, stick your arm down by the strut tower, and then work your arm back til you can feel the hose. Your elbow should pretty much be resting on the coil at this point, and you should be able to undo the clamp fairly easily. For the front connection, stick your arm down by the side of the battery and start feeling around. Your arm may get a little scratched up, but I'd do just about anything to avoid having to pull that starter.
Well, I can feel the clamp at the bottom end but can't remove it with my hand alone because of the angle...and I can't seem to get a pair of needlenose down there to grab it either. The top end attaches to the throttle body, so that end is easy. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a long enough 14mm box-end wrench to grab the nut on the back end of the top starter bolt, either.

I'll figure it out somehow...always have before. It amazes me. Some of the stuff on the MkII is so intelligently thought out, and other things are such a pain in the ass. Too bad the committee that designed the best couldn't have done the rest as well.

· Boost-a-holic
2,397 Posts
Well, had to give up on it for today. The ends of my left thumb and index finger are too raw to continue for now....can't get the damn clamp off. Tried pushing the hose off of the nipple from below...that didn't work either.

aaarrghhh.

-- Bob --

· Boost-a-holic
2,397 Posts
t is doable bob. I had to do that one on the side of the road on top of mountain in 40 degree weather once. That was not fun!

it...is...alive.

Yeah, Seamus, I finally got it replaced. but it's a real bi*tch without the right tools (like a pair of needlenose about half a meter long!) Anyway, the '84 is back to life...replaced the wiper motor as well, just waiting for all of the nice black paint to dry on the trim pieces.

Thanks....Bob

By the way, is that the hose everyone's calling "the suicide hose"? If so, I can see why!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.