Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Hey. The testing the starter thing sounds good to me. I'll just add that you should pick up the factory shop repair manual for your car sometime. Its got trouble shooting sections that will slowly elimante all possiblities, and all the proper testing procedures for all components. It takes time, but if you go through them all you should be able to narrow it down to your problem. The haynes manual for our cars isn't too bad either, and is pretty cheap and easy to pick up. Don't despair, you'll get it. I'd come out and give you a hand tommorrow but the only insured car here right now is up on jackstands and its tranny is sitting on the ground. I've got my work cut out for me tommorrow too :)

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
hey Slip, theres actually ALOT of differences engine wise between the 82 & 84s. Since you have on FSRM already, the haynes should be enough. But I haven't heard of the early one you have. The common one covers 82 to 92, and is pretty good.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
It is doable bob. I had to do that one on the side of the road on top of mountain in 40 degree weather once. That was not fun!

And yep, those rachet wrenchs with the swivel heads are life savers! They are essential to every mechanics too kit. Just don't wrench on them too hard, their rachets aren't as strong as a traditional one. I finished the clutch in my wifes AE last night. Man, I think I used every single rachet wrench I had (even the 13mm!), but I still need on in 17mm, that would have saved some time.

Slip, yep your on the right track. Test for 12v at the starter wires when you crank, but be careful! Those wires are almost connected directly to the battery and alot of current flows through them. Be sure the positive lead does not touch ground at all when your doing it. By the sounds of it you have an electrical gremlin else where. I belive there is a starter fuze somwhere, it could be a melted fuzable link too. Just keep checking back from those wires till you get to the battery, the problem has to be somewhere in between. You can check the wires comeing down from the ingition column too. Look up the wiring diagrams and find out which wire has 12v when the key is cranking, make sure theres power there then. Could even be a problem with the switch on the lock cylinder. Good luck.

Oh just had a thought. This car have any sign of ever having an alarm installed? If so most alarm installs cut the wire under the dash that gets 12vs when the starter is cranking. If the alarm brain is not in use then this circuit will never be bridged. Look at the base of the steering column and look for aftermarket wires running to the 3 or 4 or 5 big beefy oem wires running into the the steering coloumn. One of those is the one that gets cut. If it has been there will likely be a big chunky relay attached to it with a bunch of wires. Just find where they cut the wire and solder it back together and remove all of the added wires and such.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
don't bother, I bet you its the alarm. No aftermarket alarm system will let you start the car unless the brain has power and its in the disarmed state. Seriously, pull the panel below the steering column (no theone on the steering colum) off and look for some wires running to the some big thick oem wires on the right side. Trace those to where they connect and remove them then reconnect that wire, your problem will be solved. Don't go for a hack solution, the proper way is easy! Or just get the alarm working again too. BUt chances are if it is the cause its more then just a problem of the fob not having batteries, sounds like its disconected.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
boy, don't make me come down there and fix it for you! :p

Its easy, you just need to follow a couple wires and solder a single connection! Every car I've ever installed an alarm in was wired this way.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
if its as fast as you seem to think it is, probably not. I thought you said it had some serious work done to it?

My old 82 was pretty slow when I got it. I dropped an 88 5mge with the high comp pistons into it, rebuilt the head with p&p, exhaust and ditched the clutch fan and that thing was damn fast. Still is, SkoonMA67 on this board has it now. That thing is still faster then any of my current supras, got to do something about that :D

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Electric, used the flex a lite 210 dual sucker fan. That thing is awesome and fits our rads perfectly if you trim about a 1/4 inch off each end of it. Even bolts on to the holes for the shroud. Awesome fan, but very expensive.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Toysport used to sell oversized pistons that they claimed bumped it up to a 2.9 or 3.1 liter. I did run into a guy in town with a black 84 that had a ton of work done at Regency Toyota in town. Apparently his engine was bumped up to 3.0 liters with overboring, though he wasen't the most reliable source, but he said he had receipts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.