Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am looking into getting an agreed value policy to cover my 83 Supra. Right now it has @ 60K origional miles and is in excellent shape with new paint. The car has been in storage for way to long due to the lack of space and money to insure it. I couldn't even think about selling it so I stored it. Anyway to make a long story short I am almost done with school and I would like to bring it home and start driving it. Can anyone recomend an insurance company that services Texas and how to put a value on my car? Thanks guys and I really like this new format :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did call an "agreed value" insurance company once. I forget the company, but they said that it would be more expensive for me to go with them then the regular insurance that I had.

As for your value, if you can make it anything you want (and pay the premiums accordingly) then I would value it at whatever the replacement value is for you. You might be able to get another MkII for $100, but you would have to rebuild the car, so add what you think that would be.

I have not dealt with this kind of policy, so there may be limits to what you can state as far as value is concerned on a MkII.

I plan on reapplying for "classic" insurance when my MKII turns 25 years old.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Justin, I thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth or something. Good to know you are still around and still have the Supra. I remember you said you were storing it in one of those U-stor-it places in Sanger. I drive through there to go fishing at Lake Ray Roberts frequently and pass all those storage units and I aways wonder which one of those doors might have a mint Supra behind it.

On the insurance, I have found THE BEST company, Amica. I just have regular policy on mine but even so, when I wrecked my stock red 85 last May, they valued it at $4,600 due to the outstanding condition (except of course for the big dent in the left rear quarter). That was quite a surprise since the blue book was only $2700. I believe they offer classic car insurance too but on a regular policy they cover up to a pretty generous amount for modifications so I just itemized everything for them on the silver gte car, about $12,000 and they said OK. Another nice thing about Amica is they are a mutual insurance company which means that any profit is distributed among the policyholders at the end of the fiscal year. I just got a dividend check for over $100, a better rate of return than if I'd put the same amount of money into a CD. The auto premiums are comparable to State Farm, Allstate, etc. but they have much better rates on homeowners insurance than anyone and of course you get a discount if you have both.

www.amica.com

Phil D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts