Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am almost finished replacing the interior in my car with the interior from my new parts car. My car's original interior was completely destroyed from sun rotting, so when i removed the dashboard defrost vents they just broke into pieces anyway and i was able to easily remove the dashboard. So now i am trying to finish removing the dashboard from my parts car to install in my car, but I can't get the defrost vents out to undo the last 4 bolts on the dashboard. I don't want to destroy the vents, so I don't think I can just pull them up and hope they pop off the clips without snapping in pieces.

Does anyone have any good solutions/ideas to separate the clips from the vents and dashboard? I'm sure I would be able to work with a better angle if i removed the windshield, but there's got to be a way to do this without going that far, right??

·
Super Moderator
8,572 Posts
The ones at the edge of the windshield along the front? There is just a snap clip on each end. I've never had any issue with those vents breaking they seem a lot better made. Just use a rounded pry tool on each end to lift it up.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Between the vinyl dash and the glass. RAM a skinny tool in there?
Never had mine out..

I bought these to carefully replace the door panel POPPERS.

Had the panels off at least 6 times! Hot tip: do NOT put the top screws in... Ask me why.:sneaky::geek:
Chinesium ones. Work fine. Plastic BALLS off of flea bay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much you guys! I ended up successfully removing them without snapping by using a pair of some bent, angled tweezers and a long skinny flathead screwdriver. Although I'm pretty sure the part they clipped on inside the dash broke on almost all of the clips.

SilverMK2- so I guess the 82 celica supra is a little different then. it has 3 little metal clips on each vent cover, and they are clipped onto the vent cover as well as some part inside of the dashboard.

Coming from above the vent cover, I was able to stick the tip of the angled tweezers between the vent cover and one side of the clip and tried to pry it up slightly while using the long flathead underneath the vent cover to try and separate the clip from the dashboard. If the dash wasn't so beat from the sun I might have been able to remove them all without breaking the parts they clip to on the dash, but I'm just happy I didn't snap the vent covers lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts