Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you prevent spilling gas? It seems to do it at every gas pump. When going very slow it still come out of the top before the auto shut off kicks in. When going fast even more comes out before the auto shut off kicks in.
For now I am just resorting to not filling up all the way and stopping when the sound changes.

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
Sounds like your evap isn't working right or there is a blockage in the fill hose

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Or, the seals in your tank are shot. The seal that the filler neck and the pump use is the same and can be bought new online easily.

If you manage to fill it up, look underneath to see if the tank gets wet anywhere.

I've had ends of them split open a touch before too, usually from rust. More likely a seal though or you'd smell gas all the time.

But back to Aaron's point... did you retain a charcoal canister in your swap? If the evap line is just venting you might have this issue too

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Never had that issue, check evap and overflow as stated above!!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure I described the situation well enough.
The gas is coming on the top of the fill neck. The fill tube is filled up and gas comes out while the gas nozzle is still in the fill neck.
Does the EVAP system provide some sort of pressure feedback to the gas fill nozzle?
The pump that is giving me the problems are at CostCo. They only have the rubber disk/skirt on the fill nozzle. I did fill up at a different gas pump after making the initial post and it had a much more elaborate setup and it kicked off when it was supposed to. The CostCo pump shuts off automatically but only after it burps some gas. The pumps work fine on my other more modern cars.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've found the occasional pump that will overfill a mk2 - they are sensitive to overfilling for sure. If it is just the Costco pumps I guess you will need to be careful. If it is most pumps I would check the evap system first - it lets air vent out properly so the pump will kick off properly before the fill neck starts to fill up.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I try to tilt the handle up, so the nozzle of the gun is more on the "carside" than the 'carcenter".
I think it sense better the upcoming overfil fuel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Euro L-type has always been doing it if I'm not careful, at least since '97 or something.. Can't remember if it were like that when my dad owned it, maybe I didn't fill it that often!
It has no EVAP system, but a small tube ending at the top.
I have none of these problems with my other cars, not even my my '67 Crown, which just have a small metal tube in the filler for venting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts