Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, everything inside the car works fine. EXCEPT my temp selector for the HVAC. It happens to be stuck on full hot. I'm pretty sure the thing that gets controlled by the temp slider works cause when I start my car (radio is out) and get vacuum, the arm above the gold box directly behind the radio moves to the right.

I've tried hosing an obscene amount of contact cleaner on the slider to no avail.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Nick

·
Registered
591 Posts
dissconnect and plug the hose to the heater valve temporarily until you get the problem fixed and you might want to see where the electronic valve for the vacuume to the heater is. i bet it's stuck open. or a vacuume hose is in wrong. does the a/c work?

EDIT:actually thinking about it your heater valve itself might be stuck open too. disconnect the hose to the valve and listen for the hissing. if it isn't hissing your heater valve is stuck open and it needs removed and cleaned out then it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Something else to check. You said your radio is out. If you look under your center console (physically remove it) there is a little fan under there and a temperature sensor. This measures the temp inside the car and manages your climate control.

If for some reason this is not connected or is not working properly, the result is "full hot" with no control of temp setting. You might want to give that a look too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SupraRacer007 said:
If for some reason this is not connected or is not working properly, the result is "full hot" with no control of temp setting. You might want to give that a look too.
Actually, I thought of that first and checked it. All connections are good and the fan, she spins.

I also considered the heater control valve on the fire wall. But the temp slider controls a vacuum something when moved...I've heard it before. And also my temp slider used to do the clicking and now doesn't. I'm still thinking about swapping in another heater valve from my parts car, but I'm thinking it won't solve my problem.

One other thing, everything worked before I let this car sit for almost two years. Maybe something there. I'm going to check some relays and post back.

Thanks guys

Nick

·
Registered
591 Posts
is the cooling system even working? if you disable the heater or turn it off does it cool the air? or are you just running recirculated air?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My A/C is disconnected. I replaced the heater valve on the firewall with a known working one. Same results. Full heat. All the controls on my HVAC panel are loose and weird so this weekend I'm going to swap in a complete panel from my parts car INCLUDING the potentiometer for the temp selector. That I believe is my problem. I think I may have busted it somehow when I was trying to take the fan speed switch out for my other car when this one was parked..... :oops:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Have you removed the A/C condenser (looks like a rad, at the front of the car) along with its little fan and bracket? If so, you removed the ambient air temp sensor, so you get full heat all the time.

See the other thread about the clicking behind the dash. I made a post there about all the sensors, etc.
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=899&start=15

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't removed the condenser yet. I did on my 84 and everything worked...however I can't remember if I removed that sensor or not..

What I was saying up there is that this car once clicked and now does not. That's why I think the slider pot. is broken. So I'm going to replace it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay....So found the problem.

After pulling the slider and blower direction sensor (same harness) out of the parts car, I managed to unplug my car's and plug the "new" one in, didn't work. Same.

Then I remembered what Dean said about the ambient temp sensor, so I went looking and did find it. It is a small black cylinder about 2-3" long on the passenger side by the headlight popup motor. I had disconnected it when replacing the pop-up motor :x I plugged it back in and then it worked. So, I plugged in the old slider and no working. So I was right about the slider pot but without Dean's advice about the temp sensor I'd be still swearing out there. :wink:

Unfortunately, in order to install the slider and blower directional switch-sensor-thingy I've got to pull the dash...Maybe I'll go get that black 83 dash now..... ::sigh::

Oh well, thank you Dean and thank you everyone.

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts