Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Hwy129 "Tail of the Dragon" - April 14 - April 17

What is "Deals Gap" aka "The Dragon" aka "Tail of the Dragon" aka "Hwy129"?
"The Dragon" is located ~1hr south of Knoxville TN and ~2.5hrs north of Atlanta GA.
The road is a popular and internationally famous destination for driving enthusiasts.
The 11-mile stretch of the Dragon in Tennessee is said to have 318 curves. (I checked, it does...)

[HR][/HR]What's the plan for the weekend, where do we start, where do we stop and when do we eat!
-----Reference Map (open in a new tab/window)-----

-----Resort Map (open in a new tab/window)-----

This year will be organized with our group tentatively being based 100% out of Fontana Village Resort (point "A" on the Reference Map)
Please see below for lodging and reservation group-rate details.

Following is a rough estimation of the overall weekend, with Saturday being the primary meet day:

Thursday April 14th
I arrive ~1pm, relax with the crew, wander the resort, swim, volleyball, maybe a short hike?

Friday April 15th
9-9:30am: pancake breakfast by BillyM at our cabin
2-3pm: spirited cruise down the Dragon (A-B-A on the Reference Map)
(free time, relax, nap, swim etc)
8pm: dinner at Wildwood Grill
(Lodge Lounge night-cap for those party-folk)

Saturday April 16th
9:30-10am: car-wash/shine (maybe a pro to give tips? *wink wink*)
10am-2pm: official Dragon cruise and photo-ops at the dam (A-B-D on the Reference Map)
2-3pm: official meet lunch at the Wildwood Grill
(free time, relax, nap, swim etc)
5-6pm: mini-golf tournament at with prizes?
8-9pm: trip to Deals Gap for BBQ, gift-shopping, and watch pit-bike racing ("C" on the Reference Map)

Sunday April 17th
7:30-9am: short mountain hike and photography opportunity
10am: official farewell breakfast at The Mountainview on-site
Cruise and check-out?

The meet will cover ~55miles (fuel up first-thing Sat) of some of the greatest driving roads to be experienced.
Cruising speed will be brisk but keept to a safe pace so no one feels the need to cross the double-yellow.
There are 3 full-time photographers on the 11-mile stretch who sell digital copies online.
Cell-phone reception is spotty at best, so please bring a 2-way radio.[/url]

[HR][/HR]Where can I stay, because it's a heck of a drive?
We'll be staying at the Fontana Village Resort, amenities can bee seen at their website: (www.fontanavillage.com)

Unit Type Rate Number Available!
Reservation Date 4/14 4/15 4/16 4/17
Lodge Room with two queen beds $89.00 5
Lodge Room with one king bed $89.00 3
1Bedroom Maple Cabin $129.00 3
1 Bedroom Willow Cabin $99.00/$109.00 6
2BR/1BA Hemlock Cabin $139.00 1
2BR/1BA Hickory Cabin $159.00 4
3BR/2 bath Azalea Cabin $215.00 1

OK - these are the rooms available and we can go ahead and reserve when ready - reference "Celica Supra 2016"

[HR][/HR]More info, general notes, and answers to questions.
With help from CJ and JohnB, I was lucky enough to make the pilgrimage April 2011 and found it too nice to not share.
In 2012, I was greeted with a HUGE turnout of attendees, staying in Robbinsville and having a darn good time overall.
In 2013, we had more than 20 cars make it out to our stay at Fontana Village for a long weekend, lets do it again!
In 2014, there were better than 18 cars who enjoyed a BEAUTIFUL weekend and wonderful time in the mountains.
In 2015, we hit 29 supras, and had a wonderful time with some great runs all while dodging the rain.

Please post any thoughts/questions or simply to say "I'm in and plan to arrive Thursday afternoon" here.

Looking forward to it, and hope to see many of you in April,
--billyM

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Okay, I had to skip a couple but I am going to make every effort to make it to this one. It might help that this one's a little later, too, as early April is usually a tough time for me to get away from work but late April and May should be doable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been following the threads on this event for the last 2 years. I'm determined to make it to this one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Once again Billy I like your style! Getting out there a year in advance. Plenty of time to plan and no excuse for not making it!
I plan to be there on Thursday in 2016. Looking forward to it already.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You know we're in! As always!

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duane, it'll be great to have you back out and certainly do bring your better-half. One of the reasons I place this meet out of the resort is to assure the significant-others have a nice place to relax while us supra-nuts go drive like hooligans!

So, who is going to be the second to get their vacation request in and approved?

--billyM

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok, I twisted my own arm and approved my own vacation time so I'm in for 2016! Supra next year for sure.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well, some things go without saying so I am there. On a side note. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a co-host of this meet but Billy and I went to the Dragon in MKII's for the first time in 2006. Do to police states and other obligations it took a minute before we got back and haven't missed a year yet. So to me this is our 10th year. To mark this occasion I will be getting meet shirts made for the first time. I am not sure of cost or too many details but I have a good idea and want to see it through. Hopefully, some people will be interested.

See you there. I know I wouldn't miss it. I love it so much I got married there.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I saw these dates and at first i was like damn they did another one quick, til i realized it was for next year. I should be down, assuming the car is up of course. Got big plans to knock out before next year... Count me in for a XL and a few more plates of that spaghetti.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We'll be there, my son with his RSP, my wife & I with our '92 SC300, 2JZ powered, 5-psd manual. Looking forward to a great time, & all the gatherings beforehand.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts