Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my oil, and when I put the dipstick back in the tube, the stupid thing broke off in the tube,
What is going to be the most painless fix for this?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Unless it's just part way down the tube, and you can fish it out of there with a coat hanger or something small -- I'm afraid the only way to get the piece out of there will be to remove the oil pan.

And that isn't going to be fun - I assure you. But, this would be a good opportunity to see the inside of your oil pan and replace your oil pan gasket with a new one (if you happen to have any leaks there).

Good luck!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The dip stick tube on my 5m was just pressed in (not threaded). You should be able to put a wrench on the base of the tube and work it out. I put some blue RTV on it when I pressed it back into the block just for good measure.

Also try sliding a magnetic pickup tool down the dipstick tube. That should work if it didnt drop all the way into the pan.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
ditto on the magnetic pick up tool. I have one with a telescoping head, I can extend it to 3 feet in length, it would easily get in there.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Good idea guys...I didn't think about if a telescoping magnetic tool would have a small enough head to reach down the tube. And as for removing the tube itself, I assumed it was attached in such a way that it couldn't be easily removed from the block.

Well...I hope one or the other of these solutions works for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts