Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Toyota friend of mine found some whiskers for my Supra !!! They were $80 each...but they are brand new !!! Going to pick them up
now !!! He said there is still at least 10 more sets available stateside.

B

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Ask him about a new black dash pad. I'd give my left.... for an absolutely perfect, unwarped dash pad. Mine has lived its entire life in a garage, but still the dash pad is warping and de-laminating. Its the one thing that is really letting the car down.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I knew they were still available new, but didn't realize they were that expensive. I thought they were $40 each, not $80 each! That explains why a nice set on Ebay a few years ago got bid up to $100.

·
POTATO
17,248 Posts
Lawdy... and just when mine literally disintergrated.....ugh.

·
Registered
788 Posts
yeah what's with that? i bought a nice looking pair off a member a few years back to save for my restoration, but i recently found them in the garage and they crumbled in my hands WTF? how did they get so brittle when they were fine when i bought them?

·
Registered
663 Posts
yeah what's with that? i bought a nice looking pair off a member a few years back to save for my restoration, but i recently found them in the garage and they crumbled in my hands WTF? how did they get so brittle when they were fine when i bought them?
Do you keep any oxidizers nearby in the garage? Things like pool chlorine or fertilizers?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Does it get hot in the garage during the summer months? Heat can dry out the plastic and make it brittle.

Geez, next thing you know everyone will be storing their extra rubber parts in vats of water or silicone. LOL

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
My garage is like an oven in the summer months and I have seen parts deteriorating in storage, but don't know what else to do. I wish I were rich to where a few hundred bucks a month for air-conditioned storage would not mean sacrificing my retirement savings.

·
Registered
788 Posts
no chemicals, they were on a shelf with other car parts. It did get hot in there, but not as hot as outside. I don't understand what happened. someone needs to make these out of FG or CF already lol.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
someone needs to make these out of FG or CF already lol.
I've been tinkering around with cheap repairs in the past and have lined up cf parts manufacturers, but I don't wanna go out on a limb to pay $1000 for the mould. A group buy might recover the bulk of the cost, or someone could just make a few.

I was hoping our 3D scanner and printer at work could print a set, but the platform is too small. If there are any CAD designers or engineers on here who can draft using STL format (achieves better results than scanning), it ought to be possible to produce whisker models on 3D printers anywhere.

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
Our best bet for these and many other plastic parts are going to be making our own in very limited quantities by making silicone molds of intact or pasted together originals and casting resins. If anybody wants to charge enough for their time and sell a few, they are probably going to cost more than the Toyota suggested retail value. Still, much more likely to sell a half dozen sets before the mold wears out than the likelyhood of us raising a couple of grand to cover R & D and then convincing a manufacturer to repop 1,000 copies for a rare niche car with a book value of next to nothing. Eventually I will feel compelled to try making some resin copies of parts. I've done a little research and watched some online instructional videos. It doesn't appear all that daunting. That's how they restore everything else that's not a popular hot rod or muscle car. I just figured that somebody on here would do it before I get around to it.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I agree with you Phil, I don't think the replicator technology is quite there yet. Silicone would prob be the easiest and most cost effective route.
It'd be mmmsweet to have set of dry carbon fiber whiskers though.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I suppose if you mixed the right rubber compound they would be flexible like OEM. Epoxy sounds like it will harden stiff, cf too. I've used GOOP to repair cracked whiskers and also covered them with cf vinyl to add strength and help them from disintegrating further.

I just got off the phone with our local stealership, they quoted me $135/whisker!! According to their records, there's only 4 sets left stateside (which may or may not include Marks stash). Time to start making molds.

·
Founding Member
6,364 Posts
There are many different resins available to recreate everything from soft rubber seals to taillights to switches.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts