Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming home from work yesterday, got her in slow kruz mode. All I'm thinking about was cooking up some steak for some stew.

Approached the crosswalk near the old folks home. I noticed an old guy with a walker in the crosswalk. Alright, stop and give him plenty of time. The guy in the next lane kept going, which I thought was a little ignorant.....gotta go I guess. I look in the rear view mirror and all I see is black....odd, oh oh, crunch. Some lady on a cell smacks me doing at least 30k. I was standing on the brakes and she managed to knock me ten feet ahead.

A lady(actually pretty darn hot) stops and offers her service as a witness. Cool, that will make it easier. The lady approaches and asks why I stopped. I said there was an old guy in the walker in a marked crosswalk. She says, I didn't see anybody. My reply, Well doesn't surprise me, you didn't see my car in front of you either.

After all the reports are done, I check out the damage and am quite surprised at how little there is. I can see damage to both tail light lens and that's about it. Not bad at all.

I take the car to work and pull it in the shop for a better look. I check out the underside of the bumper for kinks, and all looks good. I take one last look around, and I notice something shiny. I must now back up a little; Two years ago, I suffered a failed fuel pump. I took it to the nearest repair shop to have it fixed. The guys did it on short notice and a very fair price. Back to present; I look a little closer, and it turns out to be a ten mil snap on wrench that I can see through a hole in the mounting hardware. I then spend ten minutes trying to fish out the wrench. I finally get it out, look at it, and realize that the mechanic lost when he did the fuel pump.

So being a son of a mechanic, and having purchased plenty of tools my self, I decided to return to the shop and see if the mechanic that worked on the fuel pump, still works there.

I go back to the station and ask the owner if it was possible to see who worked on my car. I guess he was worried about some liability issues, when I first brought it up. So, I give him the background, and he agrees to look it up.
Sure enough, he still works there. The owner goes to get him, and he comes back a few minutes later with the mechanic. The guy has this look on his face, like what did I do. I explain the story, and hand him back his wrench. The looks on the owner and the mechanics faces was priceless. Worth every effort that I made.

So, a bad day turned out to be two new lenses for the car, and the knowing that I did the right thing, by returning the tool. Hopefully it counts in the final good karma tally.

I hope toyota still sells new tail light lenses......

·
Registered
237 Posts
Totally thought this was going to end with you hitting the old man in the crosswalk. Glad it all worked out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Same as Jess, here's to hoping the Karma gods were watching

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Was this in a MKII Supra... if so I think you're outta luck on the tail light assemblies. I had something similar... though my damage was WAY worse. Ruined my hatch, back bumper, bumper core support, wrinkled trunk floor/rear frame area from shock mount area back, and put waves in both L & R Rear quarter panels, AND ruined the ENTIRE section of lights & center license plate bit. My car is now as water/air tight as a colander.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well done! Another decent deposit into the karma bank...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Was this in a MKII Supra... if so I think you're outta luck on the tail light assemblies. I had something similar... though my damage was WAY worse. Ruined my hatch, back bumper, bumper core support, wrinkled trunk floor/rear frame area from shock mount area back, and put waves in both L & R Rear quarter panels, AND ruined the ENTIRE section of lights & center license plate bit. My car is now as water/air tight as a colander.
:SM130 (1): Look at mine, wonder how water/air tight it'll be when I fix it. :sadsmilie

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Do good things and good things come your way...sometimes slowly sometimes very slowly... Great reply to the chickie that hit you ;)

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Karma gods were watching, if you didnt wait that lady wouldnt have seen the ole guy...

Very nice work!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
The way it has been told to me is you can stop in full on traffic and if some one runs into you it is their fault, they can stop anywhere and if you rear end them it is your fault. People need to pay attention & no ****ing cell phones!:rolleyes:
Karma better raise her insurance rates. Also I have just been told that ^ about rear ending I really cannot verify it on the spot or guarantee it is 100% true.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way it has been told to me is you can stop in full on traffic and if some one runs into you it is their fault, they can stop anywhere and if you rear end them it is your fault. People need to pay attention & no ****ing cell phones!:rolleyes:
Karma better raise her insurance rates. Also I have just been told that ^ about rear ending I really cannot verify it on the spot or guarantee it is 100% true.

I think it's pretty standard if you get hit from behind, it's the other persons fault. During my times dealing with insurance compaanies, it's easier to deal with it, if you have a police report. Quite a few years ago I got hit in a lowered nissan in another minor incident and kept it low key at the other drivers request. I spoke to his insurance company, the first question they asked...Do you have a police report and a witness? Now I allways try to cover the bases.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Bad luck bud. I hope everything lines up when you get the new lenses in.

Good job returning the wrench. Being a mechanic I would have done the same thing. Kudos

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I rear-ended a lady in a Ford Explorer and they charged her with failure to yield right of way. She pulled out in front of me and then when I braked and tried to go past her on the right, she swerved in front of me and I hit her. And I wasn't even speeding that day! There was a 12 inch curb so I couldn't take the shoulder. The officer looked at the skid marks from the left lane to the right, saw my drivers side front corner had hit her passenger side rear corner, and gave her a ticket. The insurance company totaled the '86 Audi Coupe GT though.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad luck bud. I hope everything lines up when you get the new lenses in.

Good job returning the wrench. Being a mechanic I would have done the same thing. Kudos

Havent seen you around for awhile .....here or ASC. I'm not gong to let the insurance company of the hook this time, they will repiar it. I have no intention of worring about parts fitting. They can fix it or pay it off.
I've done too many favours for other people, and in the end I get screwed(at least when it comes to insurance).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts