Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

I have a dilemma...What can I do?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NiGHTS 
#1 ·
Greetings.

Well after taking numerous hoses off my engine to replace, I discovered that where one of the hoses which connects to a section on the throttle body - the bit of metal which it clamps to has rusted right through and snapped off when I took the hose off. Now the hose has virtually nothing to clamp back up to since it's all rust.

I'm not sure what this particular hose does, but given the amount of rust and sludge that was inside it, I don't think it affected anything really. The car is in bits so I can't start it up to see if the hose being off will affect it...

What I was thinking is, since it's on the top part of the throttle body, do you think it will be possible to get a small cylinder bit of metal pipe the same size as the corroded bit (about half a centimetre in diameter) and just weld it on in place so the hose can connect back up?...without removing the throttle body...

Anyone ever had a problem like this? Have you welded any metal to any part of the engine? will this work? argh... :cry:

#3 ·
The throttle body is aluminum and will require special welding you you choose that route. Try and dose of that JB Weld stuff on the remaining tube portion and a new tube. Since this isn't a part subjected to movement it just might work.

Totally tubular.
Scott

#4 ·
If i were you i'd go to the junk yard and buy a new throttle body.. There pretty cheap esp. on Ebay. It's not too hard to take off, there are only 4 screws that hold it in.. Just clean it out with carb cleaner and polish the butterfly up with a clean cloth or maybe a dremel if you have one, they're very handy by the way, for cleaning purposes. You might also want to consider changing your TPS(black box facing the front) If you still have the one from stock it's probably brittle on the inside...

#5 ·
I dont know what the weather is like in perth but if its generally a warm climate dont even bother putting those back on. They are coolant lines to stop throttle body icing. Since the intake passes over the exhaust manifold and over the top of the cylinder head I dont think these are necesarry.

#6 ·
Update!

I got my friend who is a welder to come over last night and have a look to see if he could weld a little tube back on...he said it will be hard getting the welder prongs in such a tight space because there are other pipes coming off which are close. He also said by the looks of it, it's made from Cast iron which is a pain to weld on.

After further inspection I noticed it's not exactly the throttle body itself...it's a square part which is joined on to the throttle body via some bolts and the other side joins up to the intake pipe. On the side of it the throttle cable is connected. So this section can be taken off and replaced without replacing the entire throttle body thank God!

It's very hard to get parts for this engine over here...virtually impossible.

Suprawes, yeah I don't think the hose coming out of it is that important because as I said, it was practically block up with rust and sludge...whatever was going through there (air) probably wasn't getting through anyway. Here in Perth it's mostly a hot/warm climate...much like the rest of Australia. We have no snow or ice and the winters aren't really that cold...especially in comparison to you guys...so the throttle body icing over is the least of my worries...

But I'll see if I can get this section replaced anyway...

Thanx guys :)

#7 ·
Ok, I just found another one from a spare parts place. The only thing is, it's slightly different to the one in my car even though it's from the same type of engine (5M-E). First off, the inside of it where the throttle valve thing is, goes norrower and thus, the throttle valve - the flap which opens and closes (is this called the butterfly?) is smaller than the one which is in my car. Will this make a difference? Is the decrease in size restricting the amount of air entering or doesn't it matter?

Another thing is, you know how there is vacuum hose connections on the top of it, well this new one has one less. There is also a black tube thing near where the throttle cables connect, which a hose connects to...the one in my car doesn't have this. Also, you know where the throttle cables connect, above that there is a circular thing...well on my one the circular thing has a hole for another hose which connects up...whereas this new one I just got, doesn't have the hole...so what do I do with the hoses that dont have a place to connect up? Are they important? What will happen if I leave one out...? and what does that circular thing do anyway?

The TPS has sliding adjustment screws...what are they for exactly?

I hope someone understands what I'm saying...and they can answer my questions...

#8 ·
well, as confusing as this all sounds, I think that what you broke was the EGR (Exhaust Gas Reburn) hard line. Yes it *would* be all crappy inside.

Looking at my 5ME, From the point where the air comes into the throttle body, you have then the Idle Air Bypass screw beside the Crank Vent line, then you should ave 3 small vacuum lines and the coolant de-icer (which runs horizontally across the path of the air) these are above the line of the butterfly itself, which will have the little black box for the TPS on one side and the actuator and recoil spring on the other side.

Is this clear? I can't type and look at the same time, but that's damn close anyway.

from here you have the mount to the primary plenum, and ON TOP of the plenum, *not* part of the T/B , is the EGR return pipe - this is a hard metal line that goes from the top/center of your intake to the rear of the engine into a vacuum bell, yes?

there should be a rubber line also attached to the front side of this which goes forward to the Cold Start Air Bypass (like a choke) which should have another rubber line connected to your intake.

Does this make sense? I can take pictures. HTH

#9 ·
FreaK said:
...then you should ave 3 small vacuum lines and the coolant de-icer (which runs horizontally across the path of the air)...
Sorry, my description was a bit crappy. It wasn't air that was running through it (I don't think air could corrode something that bad!) It was the coolant as you mentioned just now. Coolant De-icer. The two ends where two hoses join up to it...well, one of those ends has rusted through and the hose can't connect to it now because it has nothing to hold on to.

All I've done for the time being is buy a plastic hose connector and I've bypassed that Coolant De-icer and just joined the two hoses up straight together using the plastic joiner.

I was thinking...you know the little metal pipe piece which has rusted off, could I sand off the existing rust and somehow screw in a new pipe piece, rather than welding one? If so, can you buy those pipe pieces from some place or would I have to just make one from scratch?

Thanx heaps for the reply. :)

#10 ·
The way you explain it, it seems like bypassing this is fine for you!

I seem to be following you around the board - lol - your troubles are similar to what I've had! Anyway, keep us up on what you come up with , k?

Oh yeah - if you cleaned the area around where the tubed meet, or are supposed to meet, I expect you could use any bonding agent of appropriate strength to make it seal.

Remember that IIRC there should be less than 20PSI and 200deg. F. in your system...

#11 ·
Yes! Stop following me!! lol You're like a little lost puppy...

Just kidding...your advice has been rather helpful actually... :)

Yeah, I don't think the coolant passing through there is so important...bypassing that area hasn't changed anything...so right now that little problem has been put on hold since it's not life threatening...once I find a solution to the ugly smell emitting from my exhaust, I'll get back to this problem and figure out a way to get a new pipe piece back onto the coolant de-icer thingy... :wink:

Cars...if it's not one thing, it's another... *sigh* :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.