Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been lurking on the boards for the past few weeks trying to learn as much as i can about these cars before i made a purchase.

I found my blupra in my g/f's apartment complex. She just moved in 3 weeks ago and i noticed the car sitting in the same spot everytime we drove by her. Last week i left a note on the car to see if they were interested in selling her. Luckily, the owner called me 2 nights ago asking if i was still interested in the car. He said she had some mechanicle problems, so he wasnt sure if i would be interested, of course i said i was :D .

So i meet him outside, we talk about the car and its history for a while, i jump in and she starts right up with no problems. First thing i noticed is the power steering doesnt work, not a big deal since i have owned 2 crx's within the past 2 years so im used to not having power steering. The A/C doesnt work as well, those are the only 2 problems with the car besides a oil leak and it smells like fuel in the exhaust, not sure if its the rings or not. Something im going to have to look into in the future.

So we take the car for a drive, he informs me that the owner before him was a toyota mechanic and had installed a new clutch right before he purchased the car 15k miles ago. The clutch has a VERY heavy pressure plate and grabs like crazy. I'm really wondering if its stock or aftermarket. The car pulls extremely well to redline and brakes wonderfully. She even has the stock radio and it works!

So were driving down the road and i ask him "So what do you want for her?", then he replies "I'm not really sure what to ask, i only used the car to get back and forth to school."

So then i replied "i have seen them with nice paint jobs (paint is all faded) and alot less miles go for $1500", he replies with "just give me $200 and ill be happy"

Well i had a grin on my face the size of texas, i bring her to the gas station, get another good look at her. Not one dent on the body anywhere, just faded paint, a minor cut in the bumper, and some minor rust on the hatchback.

We jump back in the car, head back to the apartment complex, and the next night i am a happy owner of a $200 MKII.

I am very excited about this car. The only thing that worries me about her is that she has 262,xxx miles :shock: . I have owned a toyota camry that had 220,xxx miles on it when i sold it and i have seen the car driving around my town. so i know the motors can handle high mileage if they have been maintained. She still runs and pulls strong, so im just gonna do some basic maintenance (spark plugs, wires, oil change, coolant flush, etc).

The motor will eventually be swapped for a 6M or 7M, i havent decided if i want to go turbo yet.

Well..... thats my story, i really look forward to joining the MKII community, it seems like everyone on this board is very friendly and easy to talk to (unlike alot of honda boards). Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Welcome to the board!! It's always nice to have a Supra going into the hands of someone who will appreciate it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Welcome to the board and Congratulations on what sounds like a very good buy! Take care of it and your Supra will bring you years of pleasure....and keep you broke for the rest of your life (JK).

Leslie

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Welcome to the MK2 board (Troll Free) and Congratulations on the nice find :p
262,xxx miles, the engine is just broken in :dancin: :whistle:
so what year is your mk2?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to even mention that, lol.

It's a 85. I'm about to head out to the car to see if i can figure out where shes leaking oil from.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
Welcome. Thats a great find. I've paid more than that for parts cars, then hauled em halfway across the country. We've had a few members put well over 300K miles on mk2s without major engine or transmission problems. But even if it blows up tomorrow you can drop in a $700 6m and you haven't lost a dime. I just wonder how come I never stumble upon great deals like that? :?

Phil D.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think I got a good deal on my car also, just picked it up on Monday. Not to take away from oldskool's joy, but I got a 85 Supra with I think 146k on the body and motor and whatnot. Reddish maroonish, kinda color, but only 2 spots of bubble rust in the paint. (VERY small spots). The motor has some problem where it runs on 4 or 5 cylendars, doing a compression test on Saturday. Paid $700 for it, but hey, it's a Supra. Think I am gonna have to put a new motor in it, but hopin not. But hey, that's cool about your Sup oldskool, good job, good find. You don't live in Wisconsin do you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah man, i live in Central FL. Is anyone on this board from FL?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Tanya is

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
man talk about a deal, i'm trying to get this wonderful blupra of a guy here in columbus, its his daughters car and has no rust, nice paint, wait let me take that back, one spot of rust that i saw right by the gas tank, it has the original potenza rear tires, and they are the only owners....its an auto though =( and the dash panel that is beside the radio is destroyed czu someone broke in a took a cd player out. The guy wants 2500 for it but i dont' have that kind of dough.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
welcome to the board, and congrats on the good buy.

isnt it great being able to buy a sports/gt car for less than 1000 bucks? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it is a wonderful feeling. I have driven the car for the past 2 days and the more and more i drive it, the more i love it.

I cant wait till i start the body work and engine transplant! Still debating on rebuilding the 5M and boosting it or going 7M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts