Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm obviously new here, so I was hoping to get some advice through the simplest means possible, asking.

I found at MKII today, it was sitting in a junkyard with the hatch missing. I was scrounging around and traveling from yard to yard across the county looking for parts for my MX-3 V6 when I came across this gem. I'm infatuated with it, but know utterly nothing about anything to do with this car. It is silver, no paint fading, no big dents. The motor is there, I did some looking and found out it is a 5MGTE. Everything seems to be there, but what really wowed me at first was the fact that the Celica Supra badge on the hood isn't faded. Then, on the inside, the steering wheel said GT Grant which perked my attention even more.

I'm just looking for any resources and write ups applying to the 5MGTE motor specifically. Also, I feel so dumb for not checking, but I don't know if it is an Auto or Standard transmission, so any info on the trannys would be great.

There is a really great man I used to go to for information about my MX-3. Unfortunately, he gave up attending message boards, but this is a write-up he made detailing information about the MX-3 V6 motor http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/K8.htm. So there's some info on me and what I'm looking for, I'd just like a little help here. I must be crazy though, I just spent half an hour pacing around my room and talking to myself about what I'd do to that motor.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
hmmm, whats to say really...
if you havent read the FAQs, id suggest you start there, its probably your best bet.

the w58 is strong, ask me, i drive roughly, and this one isnt even beginning to make any complaint, even though its had about 250000 hard kilometers through it.... my ford has half that and the trannys already going.

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
DriftMe said:
some looking and found out it is a 5MGTE.
To clarify, the 5mgte is a designation that we sort of invented among group using Toyota's standard typography. "5" is the sequence in an evolutionary series of the "M" family of engine blocks retired after the 7M. G indicates a twin-cam cylinder head and E indicates electronic fuel injection. The "T" we added ourselves when we add a turbocharger to the 5m-ge motor. Toyota never sold a turbocharged 5m from the factory. If indeed the car you saw had a turbo, then it is one of either a Cartech, HKS or Spearco turbo aftermarket "kit" all of which are extremely rare OR it is a home-built job like a few forum members have done. If not, then I can see where a newbie might have confused the designations from reading all of the banter about 5mgte's on our forum. Glad you were impressed with our favorite car. Go back to rescue it from the wrecker and post in the wanted section for a hatch before it rains.

Phil D.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, 5M-GE, I should've figured that one out.

If I do get this, I'll end up parting out everything but the dash and the essentials (frame, motor, transmission :wink:). I was thinking of turning it into a senior project/college project. I was thinking of 200hp at the crank and 20+mpg from a rebuilt factory motor that'll pass emissions testing, but I want the whole car to still be comfortable and look presentable while still being capable of tearing through corners on the weekends.

At least it isn't an outrageous idea.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Haha! I know that guy! We live in the same town, I think he has lost interest in the car because he won't fix the problems it has. Anyway welcome to the club!

DriftMe said:
There is a really great man I used to go to for information about my MX-3. Unfortunately, he gave up attending message boards, but this is a write-up he made detailing information about the MX-3 V6 motor http://plaza.ufl.edu/mugen23/K8.htm. So there's some info on me and what I'm looking for, I'd just like a little help here. I must be crazy though, I just spent half an hour pacing around my room and talking to myself about what I'd do to that motor.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
David Coleman?!

He knew a lot about the K-series Mazda motors, but he swapped in the 2.5L KLZE into his MX-3 and I remember reading about all the things that broke on his car. A few people have come up with new solutions and better designs, especially concerning the intake manifold of the motor, but his car seemed to have gremlins.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try to contact CRF_Rider. Here's his website,5MGTE Conversion He gets 320hp at the crank with a comfortable 11 psi. Your goal is very attainable. I'm pretty much after the same goal. I want a decently fast daily driver. He got 250 at the crank with 6.5 psi which is about what I'm gonna shoot for, even though 250 is still more than enough for me, I'm a newbie so maybe I'll get speed hungry later :D[/url]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geez, I've already got ideas for the heads, but there is not much material around the ports to work with. Two large valves?! Eh, welcome to the early 80's I suppose. This is going to be a bigger project than I anticipated.

Does anyone have better pictures of the combustion chamber and the intake and exhaust ports. I'd like a straight on view of all three if I could. A picture of the block from the top would be nice so I can get an idea how safe it is. I wouldn't call the bottom end bullet proof, but does anyone think the block is? Solid iron block cast from a mold, it should be strong enough. The heads, are they iron as well, or are they an aluminum alloy? I'm going to guess that those are cast iron pistons as well, so a better designed piston wouldn't be a bad idea :roll:.

Does anyone have pictures of the rods and the crank as well? What is the exact bore and stroke of the 5M-GE, and what is the rod ratio? I'm trying to get all of the basic info together so I can start pounding out ideas. Those heads are going to torture me though, I know it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, two more things.

Does anyone know the valve sizes and material, I'll assume they're iron again? Does anyone know the camshaft specs for the 5M-GE?

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Drift, I sent ya an email w/ a couple of pics and info, I forgot to relate to you that bore and stroke is 3.27 x 3.35

BTW, my uncle and grandfather live in York, Pa =)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to mention, my goal is normally aspirated. I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult. I think I was mistaken at first, it will be very difficult.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yeah thats him. He wrecked a BMW 540 wagon trying to drift it at the BMW drive for the cure last year. A nice guy but not a very good driver. If you check out the head rebuild page on my website there are pics of the head and block and some little porting I did to it.

http://www.afn.org/~wjh/tsc/supra/supra.htm

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Money I can deal with, temporarily. I plan to do most of the work myself, with some educated instruction of course. The school I go to is owned by York College of Pennsylvania, and because of a new program that was initiated I should be able to use the college's labs and machinery to help me do some of the head work, design a different intake manifold (which I already have ideas and a rough sketch of), and CNC a throttle body.

Then all I need to pay for is materials and having the cylinders re-honed and prepped. I can put it together myself, Flatlander Racing sells a bearing and bolts kit for $200 unless there are cheaper suggestions. The biggest cost with this will probably be the accessories and sensors for everything which should cost about the same as the pistons and rods. The valvetrain will cost a pretty penny as well. Now, I can only hope the transmission hasn't grenaded.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
CRF_rider...
if i recall correctly, drift was asking about 200 crank horsepower.
that shouldnt be too hard, thats something like 160ish RWHP.

not incredibly easy, or cheap, but do able, IMHO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
200 crank HP is pretty conservative, mostly because I really don't like the 2 valve combustion chamber and I need to see it better before I know what I'm dealing with.

I've talked to a few people about my plans already, my physics professor loves it. He thinks that if I can turn around a 12-valve 20 year old motor then it should impress a few people when I go for an Engineering major at college. Today I helped a customer (I work at Wal-mart) and he was talking about his son doing body work and how he himself had an engineering background. When I told him of my project he seemed to have a lot of respect for the Supra right from the start and he knew how certain ideas would work before I even explained anything.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have heard a lot of people say that these motors are under supported in the after market but I think its crap. since the creation of the mk2 forums there are a lot of people who can share tons of info on these cars. Anything you think that might not have been tried probably has so keep in touch some peeps like Jim King, Seamus etc. have a lot of knowledge.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh and these motors date back to the mid 60s, the block and basic design that is. Quite impressive engine design ifyou ask me.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
DriftMe said:
...help me do some of the head work, design a different intake manifold (which I already have ideas and a rough sketch of), and CNC a throttle body.
Keep us up-to-date on your progress. We are always looking for new and better ways to extract hp from our cars! Feel free to share your sketches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts