Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replaced teh idler arm today and tried to do the pitman arm, but the one i got from rockauto is too short and doesn't make the bend like the original. of course napa doesn't have it listed and toyota says it's NLA. is there a source for it? maybe in australia (seems like those guys still have stuff for the mk1's)

any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone kow of someplace i can get my used pitman arm rebuilt?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I couldn't believe it. You can get one for a 2.2 liter celica for 46 bucks. And most of the parts houses i have talked to don't evan know what a celica supra is. It's either a celica or a supra.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, the one from rockauto is for a celica. the beck-arnley one that you can still get is the same. the one from j.c.whitney is $229 but doesn't look right. it's "u" shaped. the one from moog and trw are both obsolete. however, i did find someplace that has them for order on their website, for $311. but i suspect that one will be like trying to get a windshield for a merkur, everyone says they can get em, until you actually go to order it.

i'm going to talk to friend that used to restore and modify old hot rods and see if he knows of anyplace that can rebuild an old one. i know that will probably be expensive, but it's either that or not drive the car. being that my supra doesn't relly need anything else to be safely driven, i think it's a small price to pay.

anybody got an old worn out pitman arm they wanna send me to play with?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, maybe i'll try that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is moog k9418 the right part number for the pitman arm?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JUST GOT A CALL FROM MY PARTS GUY. HE THINKS HE FOUND ME A PITMAN ARM. i should get it in a couple days. might be the last one in the country.

·
Registered
39 Posts
on my 79 I bought the idler and pitman from Autozone. you have to replace both cause they are shorter and stock, then align the front. It worked out really nice....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i got the idler from rockauto. it was the correct length. the pitman arm i got was from a celica, too short.

i suspect what you got was the idler and pitman from a celica. we discussed doing that, but with the shorter arms, the throw would be shorter and your turning radius would be worse, or it would take more turns to get the same turning radius. neither was acceptable to me.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got the new pitman arm the other day and finally got to install it today. oh man, the steering feels sooo much better now.

and here it is in all it's new glory.

i'm keeping the old one to have it rebuilt so i can have a spare for the next time it goes bad.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
after about 2 and a half months of calling around, my friend found it in a warehouse somewhere in texas that he uses. he said they only had the one and he thinks it may have been the last in the country. i don't know how true that really is, but knowing that everyone one on here told there were no more and when my friend called moog, they said they weren't making anymore, i figure it is probably true.

i did keep my old arm so i can take it to a hot rod shop and see about having a new ball joint put in it.

he can get quite a few parts for mk1s though. here's the link to his site.

http://oempartshaus.com/

i find the best way to contact him is to email or call though.

[email protected]
[email protected] (817) 744-8511

if you contact him, tell him i sent you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 81 MK1 needs a Pitman Arm now got it going and I am hearing a clunk and while someone was turning the steering wheel side to side I could see my pitman arm popping at the ball joint end.
I didn't see a P/N on the bag with your new Pitman Arm
Rock Auto has two different ones
Are both of these Known to be incorrect?
Moog Part number# K9418 @ 91.79
TRW Part number# 19098 @ 68.92
Also ebay has only one that has any hope, item# 290778068747 without a P/N for 175.43
and it looks different in the picture than the rest for the Celica's that I doubt will work.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks Curtis! I ordered that Moog Pitman Arm from Rock Auto last night, I checked for the Celica Gt and ST Pitman Arm part numbers and there totally different animals from the Supra so this one may fit mine, I'll know when it arrives, I also ordered an idler arm fir the other side.
So the front end will be totally rebuilt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Got my Moog Pitman arm today from Rock Auto and it fits great
I hope the the picture displays below the new one is on the top

1 - 20 of 22 Posts