Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have come up fairly empty handed when searching for relevant information on this topic, so I am looking for all info/advice from those who know.

I have a 1985 Supra with a 1988 7MGTE motor. The cruise control does not work. I am assuming that it was never hooked up during the swap. What is needed in order to get this working? Are certain cruise control parts going to be from the old 5MGE and some from the new 7MGTE, or are all parts for one or the other? Any other advice on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
612 Posts
All the 5MGE parts and wiring are used. Nothing from the 7M is used.

Did it work before the swap?
Transmission type before and after the swap?
Do you have a digital dash?
Is your speedometer working?
(relevant questions as I try to help you)

There is nothing special to do in most cases when it comes to getting it working on a 7M.

Make sure the cruise control throttle cable is hooked up to the throttle, and that the throttle controller has a vacuum hose that is getting vacuum, and is plugged in. (big round thing just behind the driver strut tower) Your speedometer needs to be hooked up, and preferably working since that is where the speed signal comes from. Your brake light can't be on. If all this checks out then you probably have a failed sensor or component or wiring in the system. The TSRM has a decent way to check them all (there are quite a few things that prevent the cruise control from engaging).

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?Section=BE&P=70

Good luck, come back if you get stuck or have more questions.

-John

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John for your input. I actually don't know if the cruise was working before the swap as I am not the one who did it. I will have to shoot the previous owner a message. Thats a relief that all the necessary cruise control parts needed to make it work are straight forward and from the original car. I hate having to mix and match parts from both the 85 and an 88 Supra to make things work properly. My brake had been on for the past week, but I filled the reservoir up today with fluid and it went off (cruise had not been working before hand though, so irrelevant). The speedometer works ok...it bounces around at lower speeds (cable I assume) and seems to register 5 MPH faster than what I am actually driving, but otherwise works fine. I do have a Toyota service manual, so I will have to try and trouble shoot it from there or take it to the dealer if I cant figure out the problem. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was reading though this thread, about to embark on the same journey. However, I have Billy's brown car with rebuilt 7m-gte and forward facing intake manifold form one of the members on this forum. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to extend that cruise cable somehow??? can someone point in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It uses all the stock parts, with the vacuum actuator connected to the throttle linkage assembly on the 7M. Only issue is it won't hold speed when boosting, as the actuator is powered by engine vacuum. the mk3 has a small vac pump with check valve and pressure sensor to get around this.

An engine bay photo of the are around the brake master cylinder would be helpful here...

·
Premium Member
5,935 Posts
I doubt that you will need cruise control under boost unless you are going up a steep hill in high gear.
The TSRM is going to put through quite a few tests to diagnose the issue. I went through them ALL.
Actuator held vacuum,good vacuum signal,cable was a little loose(Fixed),I had voltage at the main switch. The culprit was the main switch.

I forgot to mention the brake light switch and the clutch switch.
Yeah,if the master is low,it won't engauge the CC circuit. Funny.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zpsgkiz9q3o.jpg.html][/URL]
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Different post question/answer. Extend the actuator cable? See a lawnmower or motorcycle shop to attach an extension to the cable end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts