Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have an old 82 l style that is in pretty bad shape ... i want to put some money into it but i was wondering if i should get a 7m swap or keep my 5m

Problems with 5m are : Head gasket (in progress of replacing ), Burnt hoses have to get new , and the fuel system which i will replace (in order= clean the system, fuel filter, and if it is still not working fuel pump) so far thats it .... im thinking a grand or two should make the car look close to new ... im getting all my interior replacements for around 200 ... racing seats (150 - 200 ) steering wheel =100 and then a nice paint job (im guessing around 300)

Im not a mechanic and i dont know if this car is in a good enough stage where i could fix it ... im learning but i dont know .. i also dont have all of the proper tools which kinda sux .... i have not dicovered any other problems so far with the engine but its super dirty and nasty lol ima have to take out everything and clean it which will be hard for me lol taking out the pstons and stuff.. (dont have the right equipment tho) and it also sucks because i dont have a work place .... i live in vegas so i work in my parking lot .... i wish i had a garage .. anyways with all these factors adding up im sort of getting discouraged ... its also super hard to find a job in vegas right now so i have ZERO cash flow...anyways with all these factors adding up im sort of getting discouraged should i just avoid future problems i could have and get a 7m or just fix up the 5m and see what happens .. (sorry for the ranting i kinda went off topic haha ) Oh and does anyone know and members on here from vegas besides me ? i havent found anyone yet ... it would be nice . AND YEA I HAVE SEARCHED LOL (for chris and jack haha )

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
hows the body? rusted, beat up? take a guess at how much it will cost to fix it to your liking. after buying tools and parts (and consider the neighbors getting pissed about a junk car in the parking lot), add up the estimated cost, then see if it's worth it to just sell it and start over with a fresh running supra. unless you're emotionally attached to this one...

·
Founding Member
6,459 Posts
then a nice paint job (im guessing around 300)
Skip the $300 paint jobs. Those are for low budget econo-cars that only have a year or two left in them anyway, not for a classic car you love and want to keep for a long time. Put your money in the stock motor, interior, etc. and make it as reliable and comfortable as you can. These cars are still much fun to drive in stock form even if they don't have loads of modifications and power. If you have any money left that you feel comfortable spending on the car, then attack any rust or other body work, but save up a couple of grand for a decent urethane paint job in the first place. If you have to drive around with faded paint and primer spots all over it till you can save the money, don't worry about what people think. I've posted on here before that I can't wait for the day when all the marginal Supras are off the road and the only ones you ever see are the nice ones at car shows. But deep down, I still have a soft spot and want to save as many as possible. I can respect a spot of primer if I know the car is being preserved for the long term. Your neighbors might not understand, but car-guys do. Don't get discouraged. Just plug away at it little by little, buy one new tool a month as you need it and it will be done before you know it.

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Keep your beginner status in mind, and keep your goals low and attainable. Read every tech article you can. Go to yard sales/dollar stores with a basic tool list. Buy a basic Haynes or Chilton manual, they have a tool list in front. These cars are relatively simple compared to brand new ones, Caveman tools are fine. Do all the recommended services, that alone will teach you a lot, and tools needed will be good start. Any engine swap at all is too large a project for your current situation, dont want to lose your apt over a car...Think of that as your ultimate goal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts