Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it sounds outrageous, but read it anyhow.

I'm crusing along on the highway doing about 80 in a 65 (read: Late for class) when I spot a shiny black car in the lane next to me. Looks neat, and as I come closer, I can tell it's a porsche 944... late eighties. Since some come turbo, I was content to admire. I come up next to him, and have to slow down. A big semi blocks my lane streight ahead... great. There goes class. So I notice the porsche driver flailing his arms about, and I think he's having a seizure or something...

Turns out it's the signal to be impressed, as he drops it from 5th to 4th (oops, he's going to fast) and floors it. His front pops up, and I hear a roar of protest from the engine. "HA!!" I yell to no one in particular. No turbo whoosh sound! My dad had an 86 944, and while it had great accel, it's top speed was crap compared to my P-type. Once he recovers and I get around the truck, we go for it... and he's gone. behind me. He kept up with me for a bit, but once I hit 4k he wasn't even close. I let off at about 100 mph (oops again, at least I've got a radar detector) and took my exit to class. Started my day off with a smile. 8)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow, I'm not the only Mk II owner to beat a 944 on the freeway! Kinda good to hear (nobody believes it except my ex-roommate, and he only does because he was in the car)

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
In '92, I pulled a '84ish 944 from a dead dig to 60mph. In '95, I slightly pulled a 944S on the freeway with just a cat back. In 2001 I raped a 911 slant nose in HWY167. And also in 2001, I pulled a 928gts by 3 car lengths from 70mph to about 110. And today on the way to Shawns I tried to get a mid 80s 928 to dance on I-5 but he didn't want none. :lol:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
the 944s are pretty slow off the line, turbos are a bit faster, and there are some, like one that lives in calgary.

wil, you might have heard of or see this car, its owned by one of the admins for beyond.ca... i think thats him anyways.
the car has a LOT of work, i dont know what, as ive only seen it twice, but i hear tell that he runs 12s.

wade, you should find an old 930 if you want a challenge :)
the turbo lag will probably make you think he gave up, but when it hits, the race is on!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hey Wade T,

What brand high flow muffler you got on there?Is that a magnaflow? it looks just like the one I have. Brian
ps. Nice. Shiny.

·
Registered
174 Posts
last year I drove myself and 2 friends to Vancouver from Kamloops BC on the trans canada highway to see some bands play at warped tour... Great Drive, sunny day, and most importantly LOTS OF CORNERS to take at high speeds!

after driving about 100k with the windows and sunroof wide open and the music still overpowering the wind and exaust noise we had met up with a 944. It had to be the most fun I've had driving on a road trip ever. the two cars just played with each other through the most fun lengths of the drive... though I was clearly faster 8)

The guy was going the same place we were and I talked to him later at the show in vancouver about cars and such... man, i'm glad my car was salvageable from the accident I had in february. too many good memories to scrap it.

thats my porche story.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
A friend purchased a 924 turbo... I had owned my blackpra for about 3 weeks at this point. We ran off the line, I had one car on him after 60mph. We then ran from 40mph to about 100mph, at which point I had a little over two cars on him. He tries to make up for it in the twisites, but ever since I got my tires, he just flat out cant keep up anymore.

Mk2 > 924-T

--BillyM's porsche story!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Be careful of the 944 turbos. We are getting some in Ohio that are pushing over 400 HP.

We just put some tires on a club race 44 that is pushing over 500 HP. 911 GT2 type calipers in the front with the massive calipers in the rear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of the first cars I beat when I bought my firts 82 supra was a non-turbo 944. Took it off the line and everything. It made me think my car was really cool, and I talked about beating a porshe alot. If you wish to keep feeling like this, don't race any turbo porshe. The 944 turbo that runs around here eats corvettes on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
dogstar said:
wil, you might have heard of or see this car, its owned by one of the admins for beyond.ca... i think thats him anyways.
the car has a LOT of work, i dont know what, as ive only seen it twice, but i hear tell that he runs 12s.
There are so many oil barons in this town that its hard to keep track of all the high end cars. More boxsters than you can shake a stick at, acura NSX this morning Ferrari last week. I barely notice 944s.
They will all be my bitches once I do the 7mGTE conversion :twisted:

-Wil

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I caught up to 1 comming from kingston on the 401 hwy. The car was loaded down with 4 passengers and our luggage. Let me just say, all he saw was the tail of my car waggin in front of him. As I slowed down he pulled up and gave me a :shock: and a thumbs up.
Later

·
Registered
151 Posts
As a Porsche guy I can say this....
Folks, our MKIIs are rising in value almost as they are! Sadly I agree with Raven and the bunch...on the 944 stats. Truth is I've wanted to reply to this post for some time. Yeah the MKII has an edge on the 944,but after I read Wades testament to "beating" a 928 I have to respond as follows.
The 944 is a corner car, Where speed is bled off to take a turn, the 944 advances (over a Supra)due to its' flat cornering ability it is un-shakable in a road course, but....it puts out about 10HP less than a MKII stock. That was a big sales killer back then (83-87)(can you say average performance) Their claim to fame was handlingwhich it has in abundance compared to a MKII.
Now the 928....This is a car!!! When I bought mine I was and am convinced it is, in fact a Supercar, like you read about in car mags. Acceleration, Handling, Braking!!
I have no doubt that I can spank any MKIV...If they get a nose in the 0-60, it's o.k...cause,on my way to 170, as I pass em...jaws dropped. They'd never have gotten a full car length. I could finish my burger at a truck stop before they pull in to meet me!
But this site is about MKII SUPRAS' and by god!!! I love mine! Won't bad talk you turbo boys, but...I think I'll try out the 8CYL. route!
Need to keep up with my 944 mods. It'll never keep up with my 928 mod at 490 RWHP,lookin' totally stock, minus the Variocam I plan to add, still totally stock.But as I romp Mustangs,911s and "other" 944s Hopefully the suspension will hold.
Time will tell

TEMPEST

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
TEMPEST said:
As a Porsche guy I can say this....
Folks, our MKIIs are rising in value almost as they are! Sadly I agree with Raven and the bunch...on the 944 stats. Truth is I've wanted to reply to this post for some time. Yeah the MKII has an edge on the 944,but after I read Wades testament to "beating" a 928 I have to respond as follows.
The 944 is a corner car, Where speed is bled off to take a turn, the 944 advances (over a Supra)due to its' flat cornering ability it is un-shakable in a road course, but....it puts out about 10HP less than a MKII stock. That was a big sales killer back then (83-87)(can you say average performance) Their claim to fame was handlingwhich it has in abundance compared to a MKII.
Now the 928....This is a car!!! When I bought mine I was and am convinced it is, in fact a Supercar, like you read about in car mags. Acceleration, Handling, Braking!!
I have no doubt that I can spank any MKIV...If they get a nose in the 0-60, it's o.k...cause,on my way to 170, as I pass em...jaws dropped.

TEMPEST
Holy old threads batman!

I HIGHLY doubt you could beat ANY MKIV in a 340HP 928 (last few years of production had 340). Lets face it, the 1991 928 and a STOCK MKIV have about the same power to weight ratio. So, even a slightly modded MKIV would pull on a modded 928.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the 928. Even since the movies, Risky Buisness and Wierd Science I have always wanted one and still do. But in the end turboed 7mgte or 2jgte will make much more power than that NA V8 in the 928.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I love that scene in Weird Science where they burn out of that shopping mall, funniest part of that movie has to be close to the beginning when she takes them to that old blues bar and Anthony Michael Hall gets sh!tfaced.

You can pick up a nice 928 for around 10 grand it seems, good luck maintaining it though.

Eric

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wade,
I like you bro, Your Supra looks GREAT. But if you think a 928 can't cut it.....check this out! http://www.devek.net/ look at the specs for the "white car" You can't tell this car is not stock! It's all motor!
In my ride I can out-brake any car I come against under 100,000 That's one of the reasons I want to do a full anti-lock upgrade.

TEMPEST

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ok, time to disturb shit, but why go ABS?
there are so many conditions under which abs are horrible.

*prefers threshhold breaking, rather than blindly stomping a pedal*

just my 2 cents.

and yes, ive driven several ABS cars in winter, they still suck, but you get a nice foot massage as you slide through the intersection, just gotta remember to switch feet every couple blocks :)

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
dogstar said:
ok, time to disturb shit, but why go ABS?
there are so many conditions under which abs are horrible.

*prefers threshhold breaking, rather than blindly stomping a pedal*

just my 2 cents.

and yes, ive driven several ABS cars in winter, they still suck, but you get a nice foot massage as you slide through the intersection, just gotta remember to switch feet every couple blocks :)
LOL hilarious, but true, i dont' think abs helps on ice/snow that well, can help in dry conditions, but i agree threshold braking is much better than stomping on some pedal that could break off....haha.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
Dogstar, A, you arent smarter than a computer, B, you ARENT smarter than a computer. He's not talking buick factory ABS here, I'm gussing he's referring to a programmable standalone ABS system, which after tweaking to its exact needed racing environment, will increase tire longevity and reduce stopping distances. You can still threshold brake, just when you overdo it, it doesn't fuckup a $200+ tire, you feel a vibration and on some you see a warning light. When you have one less thing to think about, you have a bit more time to worry about lines/launches etc.

I've driven a 928 on many occasions, nice cars. I would never own one personally, but they are nice.

--BillyM

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i thought ABS was illegal for pretty much any racing application, and i assumed he meant that he was refitting a factory porsche ABS set up.

im not smarter than a computer, but you come drive an ABS car in a canadian winter, and then we can debate.
ive stopped many times while ABS cars sail on through the intersection, even seen a few accidents, when newer, "more capable" cars cant stop like an old GT car on semi bald M&S tires.

im sure youve got your opinions, just like ive got mine.

muerte la ABS

1 - 20 of 27 Posts