Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the hood (dangerous place for me) of my Supra, and when I went to disconnect the neg- connector from the battery terminal one of the wires broke right off. I jury rigged it back on with a washer and bolt, however I was curious as to what it was. I tested starting the car with and without it and I did not notice anything wrong, started w/ all electrics seemingly fine.

Two wires run off the neg- on the battery terminal. The broken wire is heavy gauged and runs down the inside of the engine bay and I believe to the starter. The other one which is fine, though feels very brittle connectors to a bolt on the side and carries on it's merry way.

I looked over the online repair manual, but well mostly a car nub here. =)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
There is a stud on the side of the engine block that the big ground wire runs to.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
you need to purchase a new negative battery wire from toyota, they are only about 20-30 dollars to replace and will help your electrical system, the engine might not be suffeciently ground to the battery and the car.

To replace:

make sure the car is cool (or else you will burn the shit out of your arm)
disconnect the negative cable from the battery
disconnect the little wire that connects to the side of the body.
then take a deep well 14mm i beleive and follow the wire to the stud on the engine block remove it
reverse to install
If you would like to make it even easier on yourself you can completely remove the battery from the car to put it on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts