Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this project a couple of months ago and making great strides. Have refered to chiltons and haynes manuals in hopes to try and find a cure.

Have replaced wires, plugs, cap and rotor. Fuel filter. Cleaned out air flow meter and throttle body. Turned timing all the way down, screw at throttle body is all the way in. Made my own intake (JUST LIKE RABID CHIMPS) so there are no leaks there. Yet this car idles at 1250-1500. If I blip the gas will come down some but still over 1000 rpm. If i squeze hose from intake to air flow drops to proper idle or at least closer, When i pull hose from intake to start a leak idles better. Book says if the ISC clicks it doesn't need to be removed. Car was listed with pacesetter header & "racing fuel injectors". What am I missing or can I try? Has no cat and three inch pipe to muffler.

Have made several trips to parts yard to get back to stock. Person prior had no O2 sensor, no egr charcoal canister, no AC had blocked of power steering assist hose as well as blocked off air to air flow meter.

Any Ideas? :( :? :cry:

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
My 86 failed smog due to high idle +1k rpm, bad TPS. Either try to adjust or replace. I'm betting replace :!:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
Will try tomorrow when sun gets back up. Have to now put a starter in. Talk about shit luck. Just like that "bam" turn the key click, click.
I looked futher in the books and they list the throttle position sensor in the Emissions Control Systems Section. Did either of you guys play with the feeler gauge and ohmmeter? Can the "tps" be adjusted while the car is running?
Distance between throttle lever and stop screw? What about the dash pot? Will this end my whoa's?

·
Registered
733 Posts
You can fool with the TPS when the car is running. Just mark it before you start playing with it. You can also check it with an ohm meter with the car off as a definitive diagnosis. You might have carbon preventing the throttle plate from closing? Also check the vacum hose that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover. You can replace that hose with a piece of regular vacum hose.
My '84 was idling high because this was leaking.

Any vacum leak would be suspect.

TPS is the likely culprit. But the ISC valve could also be a problem.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I posted a while ago on how to set the tps w/o meter/feeler gauge like the book explains.
In all reality, it's a very touchy sensor, and setting it "by ear" is not easy at all, but it is doable. Before trying this, I'd pull the codes from your computer to see what's in there first. If you can't get the codes to work for you, then you'll have to set the tps before getting the codes.
Loosen the screws on the tps to where you can turn it without it floppin' around, start the car (make sure its warmed up completely!), then turn it till you hear the throttle drop down. You need to have it as close to the point where the idle picks up, WITHOUT IT ACTUALLY DOING SO...
Tighten the nuts down and check your codes. You should get them now. If not, you need a new tps (although I'd try the feeler/meter tuning method first).
Take it for a drive. While in 2nd gear at around 2200rpm, slowly back off the throttle till you are idling. The car should allow you to back off evenly all the way to the car's idle without it feeling like you shut the fuel off. If you do get that feeling, it's not set properly or is bad.

I've set my truck and my Soup by using this method and have had no ill effects at all, but it has taken me several attempts to get it right on each, it's just that sensitive!
Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts