Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

If I had an unlimited budget

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lechner 
#1 ·
Motor Drive train from the Lexus LFA and its chassis..

The impressive fact is that Toyota boasts "The engine will rev to 9500 rpm, with 90% of its peak torque available from 3,700 rpm to 9,000 rpm" And its a NA motor too.. No pesky devil magic going on here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_LR_engine#1LR-GUE

#4 ·
Not a fan of the LFA. I like that our cars have more thought put into the looks other that "it goes down a wind tunnel really we'll"

#5 ·
A Lamborghini Murcielago V12 from either the LP 640 or 670. The angry howl of that motor cannot be topped even by the Aventador V12(Audi). The Mercedes V12 in the Pagani Zonda isn't half bad either. The dream combo for me would be those engines in a stockish looking 240z.

The ultimate crazy fantasy would be a huge open wheeled rat-rod with a Rolls Merlin or even a Rolls Griffon. :)

#8 ·
#6 ·
Holy cow, now that's thinking big! I do love the sound of those big V10 / V12's, they just sound so awesome. Partly why I like the sound of the LFA so much, its V10 just sounds awesome. I was very impressed with the torque / horsepower numbers on the LFA, and that keeping it all Toyota was a small part of the un-reasonable aspirations that came to mind.

Been doing a lot of research on engine weights, block sizes on NA V8's, and I really want to go GM LS series, but they are semi heavy; my brother is an engineer, and we have been tinkering with weight distribution, and the more we work with the numbers the best option for drivability / fuel consumption & reliability that comes to mind is the 5.0 Ford, with the aluminum GT40-P heads + T5 trans.. This combo actually keeps the total power pack weight the same as the 5MGE, but moves the weight back a little on the chassis for better distribution. Not exactly a ford fan, but they do make decent stuff and the fox body guys love em. Just gotta do a crap load more research.

#7 ·
I've got a 302 with tfs heads going into a 1st gen rx-7 so i should be more biased towards it, but if i were to do it again i might just got with a mostly stock ls1/t56. As for weight 302 with aluminum heads and accessories is going to be on par with an LS motor, but the LS is almost always going to get better mileage. C5 corvettes are known to get upper 20's low 30's mpg on the highway, and basic mods will get you 400hp no problem. I'm shooting for 300 to the wheels with my 302 i think, mileage with that combo is supposed to be low to mid 20's at best in fox body mustangs, which are on par with us with weight and aerodynamics. In the FB i think it will do a little better though. I think unless you are shooting for 500+ hp there is no reason to go with anything besides these motors, as the 2jz/7m with all their accessories end up weighing quite a bit more from the research i've done. I am in no rush to swap my 5m, but when the time comes i will either go with whatever has a bolt in kit, or custom make my own if i have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.