Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were me, what clutch and pressure plate combo would you use for a 300hp 7mgte with a w58. The options are . . .

1. stock 7mge pp and disk (haven't investigated prices yet).
2. have my pressure plate rebuilt ($170 and 3500# clamp force) and a custom clutch plate (#50-$200 depending on material) from a local shop that comes higly recomended (Eurodrive in Burlington, ON)
3. take a chance on a ?preformance? unit that i've read mixed reviews on (170 plus shipping). http://gripforce.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_110_176_178&products_id=200

Let me know what you would do in my shoes.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
justin
i have a clutch that will do the job for you
it was on a 7m with around 600-700 hp
pm me its a great price also :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can try the feramic one of Raptor racing but a little more pricey than what you post. But remember, you get what you pay for...

·
Super Moderator
8,573 Posts
Probably some kind of a 6 puck with a stock pressure plate.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
:) sorry cant give out that info its top secret he is here on this fourm and mingles with everyone (he can disclose at his own will) but like i said and i dont think he would be to happy with me saying anything
as long as its not abused it wont break
back to the clutch
justin give me a call

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
You're full of shit, brown eyes, my boots are on, the whole gig...

You show me a w58 clutch that holds 700hp and I'll show you one surprised skinny white boy.

Proof or it didn't happen, money where your friggin mouth is (prove it and I'll pay you for it immediately).

Justin, as the owner of a clutch-eating 7m-swapped car that I drive as much as and as hard as anyone on this forum, you truly do get what you pay for. I HIGHLY suggest spending a few more bucks and getting a well known clutch, either the raptor feramic or the competition clutches stage 4. It's one of those jobs you never want to do again and going with something like the f1 clutch is just guaranteeing a future trans drop in the near-term.

--billyM

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I got your voicemail Clinton, I didn't want to call back because it's late. I'll ring you up tomorrow. That's definately an interesting clutch you have there. I, like BillyM, am surprised that anyone has put 700 through a w58 without grenading it. It seems like a little bit of overkill for my application though and i don't want to snap a femur trying to press the clutch petal.

BillyM, I'm leaning towards having my original 5m pp re-sprung with a better clutch disk. The F1 would be awsome but unless i get some good reviews in this thread it's not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That F1 clutch is nothing special; just a painted-up replacement 5M clutch. The black Supra I bought has one of them, and the pedal feels no different than my stock 84's clutch. When I swap engines, and if I have the money for a new clutch, it's getting replaced with something better.

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
BillyM, I'm leaning towards having my original 5m pp re-sprung with a better clutch disk. The F1 would be awsome but unless i get some good reviews in this thread it's not going to happen.
Had one on the car originally, smoked it at ~12psi, ditched it. It's a damn waste of money. STAY AWAY FROM IT. Having yours resprung and getting a 6-puck disk will solve all your issues. That's a great direction to go...

--billyM

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Had one on the car originally, smoked it at ~12psi, ditched it. It's a damn waste of money. STAY AWAY FROM IT. Having yours resprung and getting a 6-puck disk will solve all your issues. That's a great direction to go...

--billyM
I have an F1 it hasn't gone out yet, but I know I'm at its limit and that sucks. I'd go for option 2(custom local shop setup) or a Raptor Racing Feramic clutch like I will when the F1 goes out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd stay away from a stock 7m clutch
I've had an extreme clutch in for about 4 years now and not one bit of slip or trouble.
http://catalogue.xtremeclutch.com.au/catalogue.htm
I can't remember exactly which one it is at the moment tho.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had an extreme clutch in for about 4 years now and not one bit of slip or trouble.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
sorry about the multiple post ! Something is playing up , it's happened a few times. still not sure why? pm if you know. again my apologies.:duh:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
save some money for a good six puck sprung clutch....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Although it's on an 7M with an R154 instead of a W58 a buddy's had an ACT Street Disc & ACT PP setup for probably close to 75k miles in his DD MkIII with at least 300whp and lots more Tq and it's still holding up well overall. He can actually barely walk my 400-450whp TT MkIV 6-Speed from a roll at most sub 100mph speeds and he can get a jump on my MkIV from a stop and his ACT clutch still holds up fine...
I don't know which PP he has to go with the modified disc but I'm sure ACT can tell you what they have that will work for the power (torque actually) level you're wanting it to hold... He also has a fidanza lwfw iirc althoght that was all there was back when he bought the ACT clutch like 8-10 years ago that he's still running today...

I'm about to do a turbo upgrade, intercooler, etc to what's about to become my DD MkIII and I'm planning on going with an ACT clutch and I see where they also offer lwfw's now so I'll be looking into that when I get ready to choose my clutch.
I put a lwfw in my MkIV when the stock clutch finally gave up and damn what a difference!
When I finally get the MkIII's done and have the time to go through the top end on my 84's 5M, then I'll be starting off small with my MkII by putting the MkIII CT-26, MkIII intercooler, rrfpr, etc on the MkII and will most likely go with an ACT clutch and lwfw for it too if I can...

I totally agree with the earlier posters who said "you get what you pay for" and that it's a job that you really don't want to have to do again any time soon so to me it's worth a bit of extra cost to do it "right" the first time, and if I don't have the budget for the upgrade I want, I just run with what I've got until I can do it like I want it done.

HTH...
Good luck with your decision!

Thomas

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input and advice. I have decided on a centerforce clutch and found one for sale here on the forum. It's used but not for long, and I trust that it has been broken in properly. I think it was exactly what i was looking for. I would love to try a light weight flywheel but it's jsut not in the budget. If i ever have to drop the trany again I'll investigate that option.

I will follow up with my impressions of it one I get a few km on it.

Justin

·
Registered
155 Posts
regardless who make's the clutch Justin , you want a good and high clamping pressure , within reason for the street, it's better to have more than less. If it slip's once that's one to many times. :duh:

·
Registered
155 Posts
regardless who make's the clutch Justin , you want a good and high clamping pressure , within reason for the street, it's better to have more than less. If it slip's once that's one to many times. :duh:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts