Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool! I actually got lucky and scored one like this for $35 on "Obey"! Untested of course, but fortunately it worked! Sometimes life is good!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Been looking at this thread lately to help a fellow MK2 owner that is stranded with a defective '85 (-14361) unit.
Looking at the electronic module, here is what I understand as the wires coming out of the Igniter case strain relief:
1-light yellow = tach signal to cluster
2-light pink#1 = 12V power source
3-light pink#2 = Prim COIL+ (12V)
4-red = IGt (trigger command from ECU)
5-white = IGf (trigger feedback to ECU)
6-black (opt) copy of below, for EFI/Tach checker
7-black = Prim COIL- (commanded ground)
Making it work in your car year is, a mentionned previously, matching your body connectors.
On an 85, the wires on the body side of the connectors are:
1=> 1male B wire
2=> 1female thick B-R wire
3=> goes to coil +
4=> 2female position 1 G-W wire
5=> 2female position 2 G wire
6=> CAPPED, not connected (some assy don't have this wire)
7=> goes to coil -

The other important point not mentionned above is that the module needs to have a good case to ground connection, as it needs this ground to properly charge the coil. So the mounting points needs to be clean!

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Been looking at this thread lately to help a fellow MK2 owner that is stranded with a defective '85 (-14361) unit.
Looking at the electronic module, here is what I understand as the wires coming out of the Igniter case strain relief:
1-light yellow = tach signal to cluster
2-light pink#1 = 12V power source
3-light pink#2 = Prim COIL+ (12V)
4-red = IGf (trigger feedback to ECU)
5-white = IGt (trigger command from ECU)
6-black = Prim COIL- (commnd ground)
7-black (opt) copy of above, for EFI/Tach checker
Making it work in your car year is, a mentionned previously, matching your body connectors.
On an 85, the wires on the body side of the connectors are:
1=> 1male B wire
2=> 1female thick B-R wire
3=> goes to coil +
4=> 2female position 1 G-W wire
5=> 2female position 2 G wire
6=> goes to coil -
7=> CAPPED, not connected.

The other important point not mentioned above is that the module needs to have a good case to ground connection, as it needs this ground to properly charge the coil. So the mounting points needs to be cleaned!
Jocelyn,

I like pictures, so here are pictures of the connectors as they match the EWD schematic.
And you are absolutely right about having a good ground. The diagram below shows a ground, but there is not an official wire to attach the ground. It is done through the Igniter body to the sheet metal.

Font Schematic Parallel Rectangle Diagram

EWD diagram and EWD connector diagrams
Automotive tire Gas Terrestrial plant Font Personal protective equipment

Glove Automotive tire Gesture Font Synthetic rubber

The matching Igniter Connectors
Pin describes the Pin # on the connector
Description is the second column
Note is the third column
The Pin inside the igniter is the fourth column
I didn't give wire colours because some of them are a little vague because of age.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Cable Electrical supply

The connectors and the pins inside the Igniter

I will look for the table.

Dale

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
And if you look at the EWD, the diagram it shows is not totally accurate.
There are 2 connectors shown leading to and from the distributor. I don't think that they go to the Ignitor or coil at all.
Of course, I could be wrong. In any event, it makes trying to decipher how this works a lot more difficult.

I assume that this is the magnetic pickup that determines crank/cam position. However, I think that these signals go directly to the ECU.

Dale

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
You are totally right Dale.
I even had an error in my list (4<>5 descr)
The wires going to distributor is totally wrong as you mentionned, but may be accurate for 82 and legacy from ealier models, which had vacuum or speed advanc, not under control of the ECU. Thoses would not be compatible with TCCS-ESA of the later years.
See the 82 TSRM:
Font Parallel Rectangle Schematic Diagram

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You are totally right Dale.
I even had an error in my list (4<>5 descr)
The wires going to distributor is totally wrong as you mentioned, but may be accurate for 82 and legacy from ealier models, which had vacuum or speed advanc, not under control of the ECU. Thoses would not be compatible with TCCS-ESA of the later years.
See the 82 TSRM: View attachment 18735
Ah, that makes sense. I thought that it had to be a hold over from that, but have never seen 1982 EWD or TSRM.
I thought that your Pin 4 and Pin 5 descriptions are correct, unless you've edited them now.
However, I don't understand your description of wire 6

'6-black = Prim COIL- ommnd ground)'

I can certainly be wrong, but it looks like this connection is the one that does the switching of the coil to create the pulse.
The + side of the coil is attached to 12V to create the current flow through the coil so that current flows through the - side and through the Igniter to ground. When the Igniter wants to fire a plug, it disconnects the -side of the coil, causing the current flow through the coil to stop, causing the induced magnetic field to fall back through the wires of the coil and inducing the high voltage in the coil secondary.

Oh wait, I assumed you meant 'Common Ground'. Do you mean 'Command Ground"? Was this a typographic error or is this something I don't understand. And that is certainly possible. I do not know ignition electronics.

I have to say I love hearing from you. For such a common failure device, I don't think that there is a lot of detailed information about it.

Dale

Oh, and I changed the one photo of the wires, adding the wire numbers you are describing. That helps a lot.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The 82 TEWD is very different from the 85/86.
I have found it on the fb page, here.
Yes i've edited description of 4<>5.
On 6, yes it's a typo, I corrected it also. It is the module sinking primary coil to ground /or not, that makes the dv/dt magnetic flux variation, which flux discharge in the secondary coil for the spark.
For someone willing to swap connectors to module, all the above info is gold!

Now, on my search to help a fellow MK2 owner, I traced a 89620-22300 assembly with 2 pin coil. It is listed for a Cressida 83-84. I think it would work on a MK2, just swapping the base.

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Jocelyn, NICE work Sir!!

On Megazip here is the part info for the Cressida ignitor...

89620-22300
Igniter Assy
[08.1982 - 07.1984] MX6#

The 82 TEWD is very different from the 85/86.
I have found it on the fb page, here.
Yes i've edited description of 4<>5.
On 6, yes it's a typo, I corrected it also. It is the module sinking primary coil to ground /or not, that makes the dv/dt magnetic flux variation, which flux discharge in the secondary coil for the spark.
For someone willing to swap connectors to module, all the above info is gold!

Now, on my search to help a fellow MK2 owner, I traced a 89620-22300 assembly with 2 pin coil. It is listed for a Cressida 83-84. I think it would work on a MK2, just swapping the base.

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
On Toyodiy.com

As early as 8/81 for the Cnd model

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It is the module sinking primary coil to ground /or not, that makes the dv/dt magnetic flux variation, which flux discharge in the secondary coil for the spark.

Yes, that should work perfectly with the base swapped.
Okay, obviously you are an electronics person based upon that statement!

Dale

·
Premium Member
8,566 Posts
Guys found this 1983-84 Cressida ignitor??

89620-22300

Are those the proper connectors for the MA61 ??

Green Gas Font Handwriting Technology

Road surface Font Motor vehicle Asphalt Gas

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think that’s correct for the Supra. At work and can’t check right now but the mounting tab is for Supra as well so I’ll bet it’s a Cressida that’s already been modded

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This is an 86 Cressida as shown on Rock Auto(not stocked) with the larger Connector having 4 pins, not the two on the Supra
Audio equipment Font Gadget Circle Screenshot

Rock auto cressida

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Connectors do look the same.
a pic of each with wire color from case and we could confirm. I've only seen an overall pic of it, but I think the main difference is the 2 pin / 3 pin coil, along with the starin relief from the casing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Gas Font Machine Engineering Auto part

This is the functional equivalent of the Toyota 89620-22360 08/1984-07/1988 MX7X Cressida 3-pin
The strain relief where the cable enters the Igniter body is a rectangular shape.

I do not have a good photograph of one, but there is also
89620-22300 09/1980-06/1984 MX6X Cressida 2-pin
This had the roundish shaped strain relief and the 2-pin coil connector.

Both these parts had the mounting tabs for the igniter on the left and right side of the heat sink body.
The Supra versions had the mounting tabs for the igniter on the front and rear of the heat sink body.

The part that you have has the roundish strain relief shape and a 2-pin coil connector and the part number for the MX6x Igniter.
This has to be the Cressida part with the electronics/cable and the base swapped.
If it's alive, it's going to certainly work on a Mark II. In fact, it would look just about perfect for a 1983/early 1984 except for the decal part number.

Dale

21 - 38 of 38 Posts