Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is their a way to check the igniter on an 82 supra and tell if its working. the coil checks out ok. also are the igniters interchangeable on any other toyota cars. parts are very hard to find. and the local toyota dealership wont give me any information except how much a new one will cost. thanks.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Please post to the correct forum.
I moved your post from 'Latest News'.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The '82 Supra igniter is unique among all Supras. I don't think it is interchangable with the same year Cressida.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The 82 igniter is exclusive to the 82 model year. New ones I believe are still available but for big $$$$. I have one or two used ones if you need one. The Haynes manual, IIRC, has a section on how to test the 82 igniter, as does the 82 TSRM. They rarely go bad, but you never know with a part that's 20 years old. :roll: The later model year igniters won't work and are entirely different in design than the 82 part.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just curious - why won't they work? what is different about them? anyone know, cause it doesn't make much sense to me why the igniter wouldnt work on just about anything if it was wired up right.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The 82 igniter is basically just the power transistor portion of the 82 transistorized coil/igniter ignition system and doesn't have any electronics built in to allow communication with the later model ECU's (83 & up) that have the ESA (electronic spark advance) feature.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts