Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
The part number is the most important thing. A car manufacturer will save money by using the same part in many different models.

Super Moderator
Most of the time, it's the igniter module that fails. Coil is generally reliable.

Registered
Look for info on igniter conversions, using other years ingniters

Registered
As Jocelyn says, the coil is usually very reliable, but if you do need a coil, there are 2 types available for the Celica Supra.
The 1983-early 1984 coils have a 2-pin connector for the earlier style Igniter.
The Late 1984-1986 coils use a 3-pin connector which is the one you have shown. The coil is still available as an aftermarket part new, and at quite reasonable prices.

The easy way to tell which of the two coil types is to look at these:

Rectangle Camera accessory Electric blue Electronics accessory Automotive window part
Machine Auto part Gas Metal Engineering

The 1983-Early 1984 Style Igniter with 2-Pin Connection from the Igniter
The 2-pin connector coils are still available from multiplier suppliers and are from US$15 - US$60. The beauty is they are brand new so are probably going to be guaranteed to work. The downside is they do not have the Toyota decals with part numbers. If you are after originality, you will want the original.
I don't think that this is the one you need.
Search for 1983 coils to find this style on web sites.

Camera accessory Gas Rectangle Composite material Plastic
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Audio equipment

The Late 1984-1986 Igniter with 3-pin connection.

The 3-pin connector coils are still available from multiplier suppliers and are from US$15 - US$60. The beauty is they are brand new so are probably going to be guaranteed to work. The downside is they do not have the Toyota decals with part numbers. If you are after originality, you will want the original.
I think that this is the one you need.
Search for 1985 coil to find this style on web sites.

As has been said many times, if you are looking for parts on web sites such as www.rockauto.com, search for Toyota --> Celica --> 2.8L L6 rather than Toyota --> Celica Supra
During the Mk 2, it was considered a trim level of a Celica rather than it's own model, so a lot of web sites list both, BUT most of the parts are under the Celica listings!

Dale

Super Moderator
Also how to apply the heat thermal grease and is it from Toyota thanks...........
Did a step by step thread some time ago..

Registered
1984 P-Type
I missed that thread and did one of my own:

Registered
1984 P-Type
Sure try it. You can always re-do it again if you want to check it in a few years.

The paste I used is the type you get with aftermarket ignitions. It actually came from an electronics store. If you look in allot of electronics the transistors are mounted on a heat sync with a little white thermal paste. This is that stuff.

The Arctic MX4 is a high end paste with better conductivity, it should work OK.

Just remember the lesson: put it on thin. I redid mine because I used too much the first time. The second time around I did a bunch of on and off's. Testing the grease pattern to see that it was evenly distributed and added more where there was a low spot in the metal.

Super Moderator
An old credit card makes a good tool to spread it around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts