Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what brand of ignition wires (type / model etc) are best for ignition performance on this engine? with turbo system or without??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Atl_Racer said:
factory sumitomo wires. or NGK.
For cheap ones go with the NGK wires but if you are running a ignition system go with the MSD 8.5 ignition wires... I am running this wires on my 6MGE turbo set-up with a MSD 6BTM box and MSD Blaster 2 coil.

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: ignition wires

I've been running the TRD wires for awhile now, and they work great. Even with my Jacobs ignition system installed (upto 65,000 volts), no problems. My next set will either be TRDs, or I've heard alot of good things about Magnecor wires, although they are quite $$$$

Sonny

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
NGK :woowoo: I have some they are great, I need some more :twisted:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
karaki said:
zankone said:
, I need some more :twisted:
Why...are you secretly running a 12cylinder mk2...zank...incase you haven't figured it out...the mk2 is a 6 cycliner :rotfl: :flex: :fart: :banme:
Unlike some inbreed in here :roll: I have two mk2's :fawk: <---see two :mofo: one, :mofo: two

Who got :eek:wned: now :fawk:

you have been tagged by ZSS :lol:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Back on topic, I have had great success with Taylor 8mm wires. In some testing that I read, they actually conducted better than the MSD 8.5mm wires.

·
Registered
129 Posts
mine did the same thing as karaki's with my MSD wires, they just didnt seem to fit right, but after messin around with them a little bit, they eventually snapped on, and there great wires

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been using the Magnecor 8.5mm on my 6M-GTE. They are a perfect fit for the engine unlike some brands and they work great!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Obocecha said:
I've been using the Magnecor 8.5mm on my 6M-GTE. They are a perfect fit for the engine unlike some brands and they work great!

I have those as well on my 5m-ge they work great have no problems with them, and they were pretty cheap....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
karaki said:
Actually now that you mention it Chad...my msd's don't seem to 'snap' on properly...i'm planning on trying something else next time...they just don't fit :?
I had the same problems with my MSD wires and as what KARAKI said just a little do that then it snaps on like a champ and also the MSD wires are kinda longer than stock length...

BTW... I went with MSD wires cause I am also running a MSD 6BTM igniton box and for the purpose of running of a hotter spark and durability because of the performance modifications on my MK2 I aslo like to keep things in detail... making everything in one brand so that I am for sure it is what the ignition box recommends for ignition wires and also the ignition coil. just my 0.02 cent ANSWER :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
performance

i am curious though of performance... can anyone clearly say one is better than the other???? has there been any comparisons done??

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
i bought NGK wires and plugs and it runs great, my car fouls up other plugs because it runs rich but the NGKs run hotter so they don't foul up. i talked to a guy that has buddies that run turbo civics without O2 sensors and they foul up every plug other than NGKs

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
for me, the magnecor wires i put in my 5M did not help much... the crane hi6 also did not change much other than a slighly better low end..

the COIL however, whew.. really woke things up... maybe it was that my coil was bad but comparing the thickness of the sparks, the new coil had a much fatter spark compared to the hair thin OEM spark...

your mileage may vary...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts