Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the differences between the 82 ignition system (coil, distrib) versus the 83+ ones? My 83 parts car and crash's 85 have no vacuum advance deal on top, and instead have an extra electrical connector. Also, the coil itself seems larger. If this is the case, it would seem the newer ignition system is better (ie, larger coil=bigger spark)??? Would I gain anything by switching and what would that entail? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 83 & later ignition advance is controlled by the ECU. The 82's ECU doesn't have the circuitry or programming to run the ignition. It is a "fuel only" ECU, that's why the 82 dist has a vacuum advance.

Jamie

·
Registered
501 Posts
i haven't driven a non-tccs supra before. it probably has a reasonable amount to do with why the power output is a bit higher on later models. i would imagine that throttle response is a bit better under certain conditions. can't say whether it would be worht it or not, my guess is most likely not. swapping it over would probably necessitate a tccs ecu, a tccs distributor, a tccs coil/igniter, and a few wires run from the computer to the igniter and distributor?

shiva

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have it all, but wondered how much of a pita it would be. Swapping ECU's = bigger project than I want to get into.

·
3,283 Posts
MK2Racer said:
I have it all, but wondered how much of a pita it would be. Swapping ECU's = bigger project than I want to get into.
actually, if you have a complete running engine, harness and ECU, then it would all be a piece of cake.

3 screws for the ECU (after taking the glovebox out) unplug the harness push/pull it through the firewall, disconnect the motor mounts, intake and exhaust, tranny mounts, pull engine with harness attached, (same with new engine).

swap out the few other needed parts with the new engine (coil and igniter, etc) and should be just fine.

swapping the tranny would be easier outside the car. trannys mysteriously gain 300lbs when you try to mate it to the engine in the car.

if you're fairly mechanically inclined, you could do this in less than a week. If you have 2 full days to work and the ness lifting Equipment and tools, you could do this in a weekend

HTH,
Mike

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
it only takes about 1hour to remove a 5mge with tranny attached and maybe 3hrs tops to put it back if you have the proper facility. btdt.
william

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its my parts car so the engine ran, but now many parts are off of it -- alt, ps pump, tstat housing, starter, intake, distrib, etc. Plus the parts motor has 247k miles on it, mine has a little over half that :) I thought that if the gain was there, I would swap ignition/distributor, but my guess is the 83L ecu is set up for the AUTO tranny that it was on, and my 82P is a 5speed. Ive heard the auto/manual ECU's are not swappable. Id rather not swap motors till I have a 7mgte, and Ill prolly get a better supra before I spend the $$ on that. Minor stuff I can do for free/with what I have is great, but I want to spend as little as possible; save it for my next supra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts