Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My name is Damian, just joined this site recently although been looking at it and reading for maybe a year. I am currently in Iraq, and back home I have an 84 and an 85, both P types. I will be moving and I would like to know how I can tow one using the other. My 85 will be the clean daily driver and I plan to work on the 84. Thanks for your help, and sorry if this is a noob question but i figure I am in the right area to ask it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
get a trailer. hook it to towball. put 2nd car on trailer. OR get a mate,some rope,tie rope to back of one car and front of other car.Get friend to steer rear car . OR easier still get mate to drive 2nd car if it still runs . :ptdr: hope this helps:laugh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think he means can he do this combination as a daily driver, for extra horsepower.

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
Not recommended. You'd need class 3 hitch and towbar equipment like you see towing cars behind RVs, equipment not available to fit the Supra. Rent a moving truck and car trailer and either have someone drive the second supra following behind or fly back and get it. Oh and please don't do the tow rope thing on the highway. They hand out Darwin awards for stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
...although been looking at it and reading for maybe a year...
Welcome and nice job doing all the reading.

Not recommended.... Rent a moving truck and car trailer and either have someone drive the second supra following behind or fly back and get it.....
Good advice

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
How far are you planning on towing? I tow cars with my 6M Cressy around town, no problem. But not with a trailer or dolly, with a tow bar. I have a class 1 welded onto the bumper with 1 1/4" shank. With the tow bar, no weight on the rearend. Only pulling. I've towed an Accord and a MK3 Supra. You just can't go pass 60MPH as it starts to swerve on the rear cause the towing car is too light.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i see you edited the initial question to clarify the situation, i was just having a laugh as i wasn't sure what you really were after . i would recommend a tray truck for a long distance move if you can't drive both cars, but they can be exspensive, at the least hire a tandem trailer and tie the car down so it doesn't move back or forward in transit and use a vehicle that's heavier than car and trailer together. a nice big fourwheel drive or 2 tonne truck like a f250 or something. also drive slower than normal as stopping will take twice as long with such a weight behind you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its probably about a 6 hour drive, but i guess what i will have to do is have a friend follow me then take him back then drive back, oh well at least they are both in great running condition

I was just trying to see if there was an easier way than going there and back and back again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
you can always hire a car transporter. when i had my cossie transported home, the dude showed up with a covered trailer. the 200 mile trip cost around $400.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would think you could cause more harm than not by trying to pull a car trailer and car with a Supra. I strongly would not recommend this. As mentioned before, rent a Penske truck and car trailer so that you can trailer one, while driving the other. Or your other option is to hire an automotive transport company to deliver one or both cars. I have used DAS Shipping twice for my Supra and have been fairly impressed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
enquire about maybe putting one or both on a train even? a six hour trip is not something you want to do back to back , Rail might be cheaper than hiring truck'n'trailer ? I'd avoid towing that far !:runaway:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts