Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres my problem. when i start up the car when its cold it just barely idles at 500 rpm and runs really rich. and it misses sometimes too.

now its only been doing this since i put the 83 engine in my 86.

the connector that goes from my 83 engine to the 86 car (not the computer but the other connector behind the glovebox) dosn't connect so i spliced wires to make it connect and i don't have all the wires hooked up cause not all the colors match.

so what i did was i took off the idle speed control valve and tested it out. it seemed to work but i switched with one from my other engine because i knew that one worked.

so once i got the new ISCV in it idled at 2500 rpm constantly and wouldn't go down. so i turned the car off and fired it back up and it idled at 500 rpm.

so this got me thinking that my ISCV was stuck closed at first. then i switched the new one in and it was stuck open (hence the hight idle). then when i turned the car off the ISCV closed and now its stuck closed again.

so do you guys think it would have something to do with my connectors not being connected properly??? i just think my ISCV isn't getting a signal or maybe one of the contacts is corroded. cuz theres 4 contacts i guess each one opens/closes the valve as needed.

any help/suggestions would be great! thanks!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone even know what im takling aobut?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
You are supposed to use the engine harness that belongs to the car.If you have the 83 harness,in your 86 car,it's not going to run right.Easier to change the harness,still,rather then try to pin out all the connectors.Also,you should have the upper intake plenum from the 86 on the 83 engine.
Looks like you have your work cut out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
the problem is your fast idle isn';t letting more air in(possibly one of the unmatched wires?) it's injecting fuel for the faster idle but not getting the air it needs. and since the ecu doesnt' care what the oxygen sensor has to say at idle it isn't fixing it.

anyone know where the fastidle selenoid is? i've never had to work on it so i don't know where it is(one of the few things)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts