Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned onto the main drag going through my town after picking up both my kids from youth group. I noticed a 90's Civic going a little faster than surrounding traffic. I got behind him to get around some of the other slower drivers. We maintained a little over 5mph over the speed limit while we checked out each others' cars. He was by himself in his lowered, nicely paint, and turbo'd Civic. We were able to get pole positions at the next light. We were stopped by the red light for maybe 2 seconds at the most. Neither of us did the typical 2 revs to taunt for a street drag. We both already knew what was ahead.

The light turned green followed by tire smoke billowing from his front end and my Supra's rear. I got about 1/2 a car legnth on the launch. I could hear his turbo spooling up as we both shifted into second. My tires spun as I engaged (I love that). He kept up pretty well. His shift points were good and I could tell he has had a decent amount of practice with his car. We got to 65 (in a 45) when we both decided that we were done. I only beat him by about 1 1/2 car legnths.

It was fun, he did well, and we both gave each other the "thumbs up" as our paths went different directions.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I have met a few Honduh owners that know how to drive, and a few of them did know a little about what my car "was".

·
Registered
472 Posts
I turned onto the main drag going through my town after picking up both my kids from youth group.
how did your kids enjoy that? lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
i used to have a mustang gt, and i took my little brother out with his friend and we hit about 115 mph on a back road in san bernadino. and my mom told robert, my brothers friend, please do not tell your parents what you experienced, and he says, "my dad says what happens in the car...stays in the car." :facesjump

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Kids have no fear, they think it is fun.

During the St. Helens meet, I got the car sideways a little while coming from a stop (on purpose)....wife looked like she was going to have a heart attack, my 6 year old is laughing in the backseat and making whoop noises.:laugh: But she also likes daddys car more than the "family tank" since "it is faster".

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My "girls" are 12 and 13. My youngest was yelling, "Don't let him catch up Dad!" My oldest was pumped full of adrenaline with a huge grin on her face! Since I am a single dad, I don't ever have to worry about any chastising from a mother figure. Usually I don't race with them in the car or otherwise, but when that occasional feeling gets a hold of me, I had to put it to the test.

We, as fathers, have to take pride in being able to instill the love of the automotive world into our kids. My kids watched me build this motor, were involved in the custom touches I gave her, and now share the love of what hard work can accomplish.

I am also proud to know how my NA 5MGE can beat a vehicle that has been turbo'd costing a heck of a lot more than what I put into mine. The 5M is just the tip of the iceberg of what so many of us have put into our Supras.

I can't wait to take the kids out for "donuts" in the winter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Haha nice. Thats cool.

When I have kids.....much later....(im 18 now) I want them to be involved in automotive stuff as well.

You oughta have them swapping out transmissions by the age of 15. lol.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My daughter already knows how to change a tire. Shes 8 :D

Its always nice when the kill'ee ends up thumbs-upping you instead of keep going like a typical ricer to show they're "superiority".
Turns out to be the well thought-out race nobody intended.

Sounded like every stoplight battle I've had. No usual revving like in the movies, goose to little over limit and call it a win/lose whichever way it goes.

Tho whos going to suspect a 4dr corolla that looks like a datsun 510 to give a c6 vette a matching race? hahahh The looks are beyond priceless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts