Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. My throttle response is very weak unless the car is running cold - and even then it's not great. I tried tightening the cable but it didn't make much of a difference. Then, I thought maybe if I kicked the idle up to 750 from 650, it would make a difference. I was wrong :) Does anyone know of a way to increase throttle response BESIDES a new throttle body? Any information would be appreciated.

[email protected]

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: increasing throttle response

I too have thought about this many times, here's what I have come up with so far (fyi, these will not be cheap solutions, as the old addage "you have to pay to play" seems hold true in this case):

1) remove all gear slop, both in tranny and differential.
2) removing distributor and replacing it with individual coil on cylinder packs (or at the very least an ignition system from Jacobs or MSD).
3) removing airflow meter and replacing it with an Engine Management System that uses a mass flow meter or a map sensor.
4) low restriction intake/exhaust
5) general engine tune-up, optimized ignition timing.

Like I said not cheap, or even easy. But most of these mods should make a 5M/6M have instananeous throttle response.

Good luck.

Sonny

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something that is a lot cheaper to try (this helped my response from my stanza) but not guaranteed to improve response like Crocket's suggestion

Get some throttle body cleaner, take off your throttle body and clean all the gunk out of it.

I plain on doing this to my MKII here soon, but on my stanza it had enough of a build up that once cleaned it made a world of difference

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Try the AFM mod. It worked wonders for me. You open the afm control module and adjust the spring a little tighter. (N/A about 2-4 teeth) Takes about 20 minutes. But it will affect your gas mileage and is considered tampering in the smog states. More information at celicasupra.com. Use the members page to link to Wesley Hetrick's home page. He has a very good write up on the procedure.
-Wil

·
Registered
392 Posts
might try grounding your electrical system. i used the hyperground systems, but you can make up your own cables. it improved mine, and also my lights dont dim when i step on the breaks with the headlights on.
bryan
84ptype

·
Registered
120 Posts
Throttle response

I increased my throttle reponse with a MSD 6a. It's not cheap, but the gas way the car jumps from the line and the gas mileage made it worth it. (You must us the tach/fuel adapter). You also need a little bit of electrical/car smarts to install this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Throttle response

I increased my throttle reponse with a MSD 6a. It's not cheap, but the gas way the car jumps from the line and the gas mileage made it worth it. (You must us the tach/fuel adapter). You also need a little bit of electrical/car smarts to install this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Throttle response

1 - 9 of 9 Posts