1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I get disconnected inadvertantly from the forum while
i'm in the "see all the posts since last visit" mode and then i lose
the unviewed posts info. Could u make a positive signout requirement
to erase that info, like clicking twice on a particular button?

StanS

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
StanS said:
Sometimes I get disconnected inadvertantly from the forum while
i'm in the "see all the posts since last visit" mode and then i lose
the unviewed posts info. Could u make a positive signout requirement
to erase that info, like clicking twice on a particular button?

StanS
Stan,

How is it that you're getting disconnected from the forum? Are you accidently closing your browser or what is happening here?

If you're in "see all posts since last visit mode" or in regular manual reading mode, this should not be an issue. The phpBB forum utilizes "session ID" along with your IP address to identify that you're on the forum...however...

If you have not checked the "remember me" box when you sign in, and your browser is closed somehow (either manually by you or you lose your internet connection or have a problem on your PC which forces you to close your browser) ... the forum automatically assumes you are finished viewing the posts on the forum and marks all unread posts as READ.

The only thing I can suggest trying is to check the "remember me" box and allow the forum to set a cookie on your machine (you need to have cookies enabled in your browser to allow this to happen). Perhaps that will cure the issue you're experiencing

The method of using "session ID" cannot be altered because it's how the forum recognizes you as a user in "logged on" status. If you accidently log out, or accidently close your browser, there isn't anything I can do to prevent the result you're experiencing. I myself have accidently closed the browser window, and the consequences are "you lose the ability to know what you haven't read yet."

That's something we all have to deal with - I've looked into it with phpBB and there no "fix" for this. You've just got to be careful.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
Sometime my PC loose it network connection after a sleep...I have to reboot, and loose the "View posts since last login"

If in the search window, there would be a field like:
Search Posts since : June 2, 2004
that would help !

·
Founding Member
6,553 Posts
My old PC is pretty flakey. Sometimes the video goes out and I have to shut off power and restart to get the video back. When I log back in, I usually lose the unread posts. Is there a way to say view all new topics or new posts that day or by time? Search 1 day doesn't seem to work without putting in a key word.

Phil D.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm going to look into a mod for the database that allows you to look up posts between X date and X date. That way you can see only the newest stuff, in case you should happen to close the forum before you've read everything (which I have done a few times, but I'm careful about not doing now).

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
The other case that gets you all the time is when you open a new browser to the CS forum by accident. If someone sends you a link to a thread on messenger or something while your browsing it will reset the date of your last visit in both windows. That and the old gotcha of having to go through all the new posts every time you log onto the forum to check a message.

Steph, I have a solution for you. Right now the forum stores the date and time of the last visit for every user of the forum. What you do is create a 2 element queue of last visited dates and times. Then add a new button to the main window interface called "Revert to Previous Visit Date" or such. Clicking this would take the 2nd last date you visited and overwrite the current one so that View Last Posts will work as if your real last visit never happened. Sound doable?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts